Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: If you are a quilter and don't have one of these.....

If you are a quilter and don't have one of these.....

You are really missing the boat. I got this gadget called Rule Steady for Christmas and I love it!!! I will never cut a piece of fabric without it! With just a tad of pressure on the handle, the ruler underneath cannot move at all! You can use it on any size ruler, large or small. It is from Australia, but there is a shop in Indiana that sells it. It was $89. but will save tons of fabric due to have to constantly straightening because the ruler "slipped".
    Attached Images Attached Images    

I have been making quilts for about 44-45 yrs and I don't have one, just get along without it.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    What a lovely gift. That is a great tip. Thank you for sharing.
    Desiderata (Max Ehrmann) - Walk placidly amid the noise and haste and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story. Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit.

I have this quilt book from the late 1980's and it is so hilarious to read. It says Quilting is such an easy hobby. You just take scissors, thread and needle and a ruler and that is all you need to enjoy a wonderful hobby like quilting. I have so many gadgets now I think I will pass on this, even though it does look nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
    I have been making quilts for about 44-45 yrs and I don't have one, just get along without it.
    Me too, and I haven't miscut $89 worth of fabric in all that time...not even close.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Looks pretty handy. Good idea.

Blog Entries
    It is not a quilting toy or gadget it is a safety tool. I bought one of each size when I saw them online some years ago. I had a cutter slip and go over my ruler and if I didn't have this on my ruler I know it would have been one bad accident. The added bonus of keeping the fabric perfectly in line is great. I've posted before about how important this tool is and always get the same replies of it's too expensive, it is just another gadget. I hope no one gets a bad cut from a rotary cutter but it's likely to happen then not.
    Got fabric?

I have this also and also believe it is more for safety than worrying about wasting fabric. BUT, it does a fabulous job of helping to cut.
    Karen in CA
    Babylock Ellisimo, Babylock Enlighten Serger, Janome 6600, Janome 760 for travel

Lucky you to get one for Christmas!

I put small dots of sandpaper on the bottom of my rulers and they don't slip at all. I use super glue to attach them and put 3 small ones down the center of the rulers. I only use the sandpaper on the 18" and 24" straight rulers. I don't use them on the square ups.
    Families are like old quilts....although they tend to unravel at times...each can be stitched back together with love.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast