Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If you were to take a workshop titled "Exploring machine applique" ... >

If you were to take a workshop titled "Exploring machine applique" ...

If you were to take a workshop titled "Exploring machine applique" ...

Old 12-02-2011, 09:04 AM

Default If you were to take a workshop titled "Exploring machine applique" ...

What all would you expect?
Old 12-02-2011, 09:22 AM

I would expect to learn various ways to machine applique.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:23 AM

My first thought is - Exploring - possibly just a 'talk' class, machine applique - various ways to use sewing machine to applique.

Then what I am hoping is that it is a hands on class that helps me to understand different ways to machine applique.

Is this a 'class' that you are interested in? Or is this something you are setting up? Or did you take it and became disappointed? Help us understand you question, please.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:32 AM

I am at the very beginning stages of putting together a workshop. I think I'll do three edge treatments for raw edge applique and at least two for turned edge applique. I'll be teaching it the end of January or the first of February so it's going to be Valentine themed. Hearts are the perfect shape to teach applique techniques with since they have an inside point, an outside point and curves.

Just your first thoughts and first questions on the title of the workshop are very helpful!
Old 12-02-2011, 09:55 AM
Power Poster

I would expect an outline of what methods you will be offering. I would want a supply list if you are not supplying the stuff to work with. Is a package of the samples we are working with available to purchase? Will I need my machine and other sewing stuff? How much will it cost and is it refundable if the I can't make it or the class is cancelled? Is it all day and will lunch be ordered in or do we pack a lunch (fridge/microwave)? Washrooms available and easy accesiblility for possible handicapped? Where is the location, (map) parking and the time of the workshop. Okay,that all I can come up with that I would want to know before doing a workshop.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I would expect an outline of what methods you will be offering. I would want a supply list if you are not supplying the stuff to work with. Is a package of the samples we are working with available to purchase? Will I need my machine and other sewing stuff? How much will it cost and is it refundable if the I can't make it or the class is cancelled? Is it all day and will lunch be ordered in or do we pack a lunch (fridge/microwave)? Washrooms available and easy accesiblility for possible handicapped? Where is the location, (map) parking and the time of the workshop. Okay,that all I can come up with that I would want to know before doing a workshop.
Great questions!! I'm going to copy all the questions and print it out and make sure they're answered in the workshop handout for anybody that signs up for the class!
Old 12-02-2011, 10:19 AM
Banned

A class I'm unlikely to ever take
That said - I would expect to bring my machine, have a good solid demonstration with handouts.
A teacher who'd pay attention to every enrollee, insuring that everyone left the day knowing how to machine applique - at least, basic shapes.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:19 AM

Wish I could come but I'm no where near Kansas LOL.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:47 AM
Power Poster

Using the term "exploring" makes me think this class may be more of a discussion about machine applique than a actual class.
"Exploring and learning the art of machine applique" as a title, I would think I would learn about the different techniques and be taught how to do them

I see many struggle with satin stitching, and using a blanket type of stitch around tight curves and points. Spending time here letting the students practice would be very helpful.

Maybe show examples of:
The difference in using a stabilizer or not.
The difference in fusible products.

Good luck with your class
Old 12-02-2011, 12:02 PM

I would probably have to read more of the description to know what to expect. If you're exploring, I hope that you would go over some of the different ways to machine applique, from turned edge that looks like hand quilting, to raw edge.

Janet