Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: I'm crying

I made my daughter a quilt based on a Gee's Bend quilt. It was a kit using hand dyed fabrics. I washed all fabrics in Retayne before sewing it together. Then today I washed the completed quilt using cold water, gentle cycle and two dye retention sheets that you put into the washer. I did that twice because the first time I took the quilt out of the washer to line dry it, I saw some red had run onto the beige strip on one side. I am going to dry it and see how bad it looks then as the second washing didn't help at all. It is a Christmas gift for her. I am so sad.

Did you try Color Catchers in the wash?

I'm so sorry to hear this happened to you, maybe the second wash will help.

Blog Entries
    I am so sorry this happened (((HUGS)))

You prewashed the fabrics then used Retayne? If the area is small maybe it can be patched or appliqued? Rats...

Blog Entries
    I don't like hand dyed fabric for this very reason. The dyes aren't set. I don't know if it is the chemicals being used by home dyers but they sure don't work to stop the bleeding. I bought some beautiful hand dyed fat quarters from Paducah Quilt Show and they bled until almost all the color was gone from the fabric. I guess if using for art or wall hangings only the hand dyed would be okay but for the price I'd rather buy commercial dyed.

Oh, I'm sorry!!!!!

You could try washing again in Synthrapol. It *might* help. When you washed the first time, did you continue to wash until the rinse water was clear? That's important, since one washing doesn't always do the job.

ahh bummer, I'm so sorry,
    If nothing will fix it in the wash...I would seriously consider trying to match that miss hap red with a little fabric paint.. And lightly streak the other biege pieces ( or where ever it ran on to)Make it look like it was done on purpose, before I gave up...Or applique/s, something..

If you do decide to go for the paint...I'd get the closest red and also pick up a black and a white paint. To mix in if you need to darken and or lighten to match... You can also add a little yellow to warm up the red or a little blue to cool it...

Senior Member twospoiledhuskies's Avatar
    I got rusty water spots on my light pink/green quilt (was a gift as well). Made a paste out of oxy. One spot came out great first treament. The big one took 3 treatments, buttttt all came out beautifully. Can't even tell it was there.

I love this stuff. I've never written a letter to any company, but if I did, it would be this one. Love Love

Good luck, hope it comes out :-D