Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm going bananas trying to FMQ - Help! >

I'm going bananas trying to FMQ - Help!

I'm going bananas trying to FMQ - Help!

Old 11-26-2010, 08:23 AM

No matter how much I practice, it ain't working. My stitches are too big. I am on a Designer 1. I installed the FMQ foot correctly, it works fine. I just don't. I have the feed dog down, a straight stitch, etc. I think everything is set up right, I just can't get the size of the sttiches to stay even. What can I do? Is there someone who can give me a basic lesson on how to using my machine? I am trying to finish a quilt by Monday. I have most of it done using SID along the seam lines. Now I am trying to FMQ the border and I am pulling my hair (what is left) out. Please, somebody!!!
Old 11-26-2010, 08:34 AM
Power Poster

If your stitches are too big, you may be moving the fabric too fast. Try slowing down just a bit, and it may also help give you more control to help with even stitches~ :)
Old 11-26-2010, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Gilla
No matter how much I practice, it ain't working. My stitches are too big. I am on a Designer 1. I installed the FMQ foot correctly, it works fine. I just don't. I have the feed dog down, a straight stitch, etc. I think everything is set up right, I just can't get the size of the sttiches to stay even. What can I do? Is there someone who can give me a basic lesson on how to using my machine? I am trying to finish a quilt by Monday. I have most of it done using SID along the seam lines. Now I am trying to FMQ the border and I am pulling my hair (what is left) out. Please, somebody!!!
Could you do a grid of straight stitching in your border? It might reflect the SID work you have already done.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:38 AM

Getting the stitches to be even takes a lot of patience, and practise. Try slowing your speed down a bit to med-high.
Start with straight lines until you get that stitch even
Then try gentle curves. Most of us have a tendency to speed up going around in circles or arcs just because it feels smoother that way. Listen to the sound of your machine - if it stays the same when you're stitching. Then you've be able to catch things like speeding up/slowing down.
All you have to do is make sure the speed of the machine remains constant, and you take the time to move the fabric at a consistent speed.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:44 AM

That will help me, too. thanks
Old 11-26-2010, 08:57 AM

go to you tube and watch some of these videos....maybe you can get some pointers =) I want to eventually get to free motion but I'm not there yet. I do like watching though...

Quilting and Crafting with Leah Day
lcvday's Channel
Old 11-26-2010, 09:12 AM
Power Poster

You will find your rhythm of how fast to make the machine go vs how fast to move the fabric :D:D:D
Old 11-26-2010, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Gilla
Hello I find using a test piece is a good way to pratice doing this. I had a problem close to what u did I set my machine on the lowest speed and slowed down when moving the fabric around. In the guild I was in they said pratice is the only way to get better at FMQ. ( sorry)
Old 11-26-2010, 04:37 PM

practice, practice, practice and before you work on a actual quilt, warm up on a scrap
Old 11-26-2010, 04:46 PM

Are you using the "R" foot or a spring type darning foot?
I have a Sapphire 875 and find that the spring darning foot works so much better for me. The Machinger quilters gloves are a huge help too. I take the sm/med. size.
http://www.softexpressions.com/softw...Gloves.php#mac
I set the tension lower too and it seems to help. Slow down and remember to breathe and relax. This is supposed to be fun.
Sharon W.