Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Need Recipes for Tomato Sauce and Too-Ripe Bananas >

Need Recipes for Tomato Sauce and Too-Ripe Bananas

Need Recipes for Tomato Sauce and Too-Ripe Bananas

Old 12-12-2009, 11:25 AM

I have problems with spices, even though I like them. I'm finding the commerical tomato sauces (Contadina, for example)are now too spicy (maybe from the garlic?) for me, too.

So how would I make a very gentle, light tomato sauce from scratch?

Also, I have a couple of overripe bananas I'd like to find a way to use. They're at the stage where they're heavily speckled with brown. I hate eating them when they get to this point, but I'd prefer not to throw them out.

Please don't just post a link to an online recipe site unless you're recommending the recipe because you've used it yourself. I'm quite familiar with the online cooking sites; I know how to find them myself.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:36 PM
Power Poster

you can add the banannas to your favorite pancake recipe. Also adding some to a cookie or cake recipe can add a new flavor and it makes them more moist too!!! Sometimes I mash a bananna with vanilla if I don't want a strong bananna flavor...a tsp or so per bananna or to taste.

As to the tomato sauce, you can take a can of crushed, whole,cut tomatoes and run them through a food processor and make your own sauce. Start by adding a tiny bit of herbs and let it simmer for about 30-60 minutes and then taste. Keep track of the herbs and garlic as you add it. I like to add the premixed dried Italian herbs (in a bottle) to mine, and also garlic, onion or onion powder. I do add a bit more oregano.
To me the canned/bottled sauces are too sweet and I don't add sugar to mine. Also adding in a bit of tomato paste at a time can change up the flavor.
Sorry I don't have any actual recipes for the sauce, I am a fly by the seat of my pants sauce maker ususally :D:D:D
Old 12-12-2009, 12:43 PM

For the tomato sauce, I use 2 8oz cans of tomato sauce (not the prepared stuff, just plain old sauce), 2 8oz cans of diced tomatoes drained, 1 can of tomato paste, and 2lbs of ground beef. Than you can add seasoning to taste. If you use fresh herbs and garlic/onions to season the sauce, it's generally a lot stronger. I recommend dried basil, thyme, and garlic. This will make enough sauce for a spaghetti dinner for 5 with two lunches leftover (that's how we measure in our family :) )

As for bananas, dip them in chocolate or make banana splits.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:37 PM

Thanks, both of you!

I guess I should have clearly stated that I'm looking to NOT used any canned products. Pineapple, it's that plain old sauce that I'm trying to make for myself, because the canned is giving me a reaction. Amma, I just despise canned tomatoes.

So I'm looking to start with fresh tomatoes, though for some reason, I can use Spice Island's Italian Seasoning with no problem at all. I just don't know what I'd add to fresh tomatoes (I assume I'd chop them up and boil them) to make it end up sauce and not mush.

I think I'm just going to give up on the bananas. Your suggestions are good ones, but every time I think of making any of them with overripe bananas, I just get queasy.
Old 12-12-2009, 04:16 PM

You can toss your over-ripe bananas into the freezer while you decide what to do with them. Even when bananas are black on the outside, the fruit inside is still good. If you're going to make something like banana bread or muffins or cookies or cake, you want to start with very ripe bananas because they are easier to mash up and then you don't have little lumps of banana in your finished product. There are piles of recipes around, choose by using what you already know about muffin, bread, cookie or cake recipes. If you don't have enough too-ripe banana, then just leave what you have in the freezer until you have enough!

There is a company in Victoria, BC, Canada called Victorian Epicure. They make herb and spice mixes that are very high quality. I'm sure you can buy from them on-line. If you are looking to season up tomatoes, I recommend the Fines Herbes. There are other mixes with a more Italian flavour if you prefer.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:49 AM

b. zang and Loretta, fantastic tip about freezing the bananas! I had no idea you could do that! Thanks!
Old 12-13-2009, 06:09 AM

You can roll overly ripe bananas in chopped nuts and/or mini chocolate chips. Slide a skewer into the banana. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and then freeze. You then eat them frozen. Somehow they end up tasting creamy. Almost like icecream. Kids love them.

Is your canned food problem caused by MSG? I know a few people who have a reaction to that. If so, be aware that even some powered spice mixes have MSG in them.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:12 PM

No, I'm fine with MSG, and I don't have a canned food problem. I have a problem with the spices in the tomato sauce, and since the ingredients list only says "spice" I don't know what it is.

As for canned pureed or stewed tomatoes, I just don't like 'em. Never have. Blecch.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:16 PM
Power Poster

I take about a dozen fresh tomatoes dip them into boiling water briefly and then peel the skins off. Chop them up into pieces, then place them into a saucepan with a cup, cup and a half of water, cover and let simmer with seasonings until they reach the right consistency. You may want to remove the lid and simmer more to condense it further.
You can also puree it at the end if you want a smoother sauce, in a food processor. A blender may add too much air and then you would need to cook it again, stirring to get the air back out. I personally do not mind the seeds being in there..it is hard to see them with the other herbs...but you could remove them before hand.
One batch could be made with Italian seasoning, another with a Mexican, Mediterranin, these freeze well for 6 months or more.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:18 PM
Power Poster

Romas have more "meat" than most tomatoes and I forgot to say that I prefer these over other more watery tomatoes.