Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: I'm having a bit of the dreaded "quilter's block"

  1. #1
    Super Member Flying_V_Goddess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,722
    I want to get back into quilting so bad, but I can't seem to come up with anything I'd want to quilt. I've looked through books, magazines, websites, etc...and I still can't come with anything! ...What is wrong with me?

  2. #2
    joy
    joy is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    new zealand
    Posts
    769
    Make a community quilt for a child who needs it..... just an easy pattern of blocks... that will start you off again....

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Becky
    Posts
    708
    How about your imaganation? Create your own idea, How about using a traditional and putting your twist on it. Let your mind play. Just a thought.

  4. #4
    Super Member sondray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Natural Bridge, VA
    Posts
    4,785
    Try a rag quilt, they are easy and quick to put together.

  5. #5
    Super Member Joan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Pine Grove, California
    Posts
    2,846
    Look for a piece of fabric that "speaks" to you! You know the ones, you touch them in the Fabric Store and keep returning to them over and over again. You don't have any project in mind or idea but the fabric keeps calling you. Buy it, take it home and an idea will come.

    p.s.---take a look at the Pictures on this site, always good inspiration

  6. #6
    Super Member Flying_V_Goddess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,722
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca Chambley
    How about your imaganation? Create your own idea, How about using a traditional and putting your twist on it. Let your mind play. Just a thought.
    I think my imagination is broken. :? I mean, it seems like I was always coming up with ideas for things I'd want to make. Super mario mushroom wall hanging, Legend of Zelda map wall hanging, purple diamond lattice quilt, etc. Now? ...I have yet to come up with something that I'd go "Wow. That looks great! I want to make it!"

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Becky
    Posts
    708
    Why? Dose it have to be something that you (see), that you go WOW, and have to make? From your post, you have a daring imagination, and have made quilts and wallhangin's that I've never seen, But I think WOW, look at the creativeness. Your into video games, and I'm sure there is a whole host of fantasy things, that would make a quilt or wallhanging. It's just use the key and unlock the door. How about going with something, that you could use beads and charms to create, on a wall hanging. Play with a new area of quilting, Challenge that imaganation, Make it work for ya.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3
    That happens to me more than I like to admit! I tend to have more ideas than I have time, so being blocked is awful for me. What I've learned to do is keep a list of items I want to make for family members and I start tackling that when I'm out of ideas/ inspiration. That usually jumpstarts the whole process for me.

  9. #9
    ButtercreamCakeArtist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    2,282
    How about a Flying V wall hanging?? Make the "body" of the guitar out of some of that shiny green fabric. (you want green, right?)
    You could even put "strings" on it. Between the frets you could add a long piece of thread with silver or irridescent bugle beads. Tie off between each fret so they wouldn't droop. Use some cool buttons for knobs....

  10. #10
    Super Member Flying_V_Goddess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,722
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca Chambley
    Why? Dose it have to be something that you (see), that you go WOW, and have to make? From your post, you have a daring imagination, and have made quilts and wallhangin's that I've never seen, But I think WOW, look at the creativeness. Your into video games, and I'm sure there is a whole host of fantasy things, that would make a quilt or wallhanging. It's just use the key and unlock the door. How about going with something, that you could use beads and charms to create, on a wall hanging. Play with a new area of quilting, Challenge that imaganation, Make it work for ya.
    Its gotta be something that I go "WOW!"...what's the point in making it if I don't? And for some odd reason I'm just not getting anything from video games (haven't played very many lately...just Final Fantasy 4 and right now Skies of Arcadia). I mean, espessily with Skies of Arcadia, I thought I would have gotten some sort of quilting idea from it. Its just loaded with fantasy, airships that look like old ships, pirates, floating islands, magic, etc. I'm just not getting anything. Weird.

    Quote Originally Posted by ButtercreamCakeArtist
    How about a Flying V wall hanging?? Make the "body" of the guitar out of some of that shiny green fabric. (you want green, right?)
    You could even put "strings" on it. Between the frets you could add a long piece of thread with silver or irridescent bugle beads. Tie off between each fret so they wouldn't droop. Use some cool buttons for knobs....
    Now there's an idea! But I'd have to go with a nice classic black Flying V guitar. Hmmmm...maybe a Guitar Hero wall hanging? Now that would be awesome! I think I might need some practice with my applique skills to do something like that, but definately something I would like to do. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.