Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm new and need some help with a French braid quilt >

I'm new and need some help with a French braid quilt

I'm new and need some help with a French braid quilt

Old 11-08-2015, 10:16 AM

OK, I have a really dumb suggestion. I noticed, especially on the right side of the pic, that the chevrons aren't matching up. Can she go back, take out stitching, repin at every intersection so they match up, and steam or manipulate fabric so it matches. That would take the curve out. Right?
Old 11-08-2015, 05:14 PM

I would first try the wetting it and attempting to block it. Then look hard at the size issue. I also believe it is a combination of sewing in one direction and bias edges. If it is still off kilter enough to bother you (more than a border would correct) than you may need to add sashing. Depending on the correction needed and how many braids you have, you might be able to sash every in strips of 2 or 3. Example - you have 7 braids and you need to correct 1" - you could sash between braids 2 &3, between braids 5 & 6 and the 2 borders. Each of these strips would only have to be 1/4" different from top edge to bottom edge. If these sashes and borders would only need to be off by 1/4" at one end, this would not be noticeable. But, sew in the opposite direction than you used to sew the braids together. Both of these would be a lot easier than taking it all apart!
Old 11-08-2015, 05:14 PM

I ripped the rows apart today and am hoping to go tomorrow and find dashing fabric. Thanks for all your help.
Old 11-08-2015, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by AngelaS View Post
I ripped the rows apart today and am hoping to go tomorrow and find dashing fabric. Thanks for all your help.
darn--wish you'd done the blocking first. I was advised by a show quilter to wet a really wonky quilt and lay on the floor on a sheet of plastic and use steel pin (so they don't rust!) and tug and push into place. She said that using some spray starch on the "too long" part and push that into place would gain me up to 3" of straightening--and she was right! If the sashing and stay stitching doesn't do the trick, do try the blocking.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:18 AM

AngelaS. so, you ripped it apart. go from there. and if this is one of your first quilts. do the best you can and don't worry about it. the first one is never perfect. I kept reading the thread, to see whateveryone was saying..... they all gave you good advice., BUT JUST GET the first one or two DONE. to the best of your ability. once sandwiched, and quilted, even if not perfect, they look a lot better than you are thinking they will.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
i've seen a lot of french braids with a sashing between the columns. now i think your issue is why. can you try to cut even strips for between and fit each column to the strip?
I did a french braid not long ago with sashing between each braid and I was very pleased with the end result.

It does not look too late to unpick the columns and put a sashing in between.

Good luck with whatever you decide and please show us what you do. Your fabrics look too pretty to just leave as a UFO.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:42 AM

*** HI! Y'all from the upstate of South Carolina.
Old 11-09-2015, 04:49 PM

The bit of your fabrics that I can see is very pretty!
Old 11-09-2015, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by DivaDee View Post
OK, I have a really dumb suggestion. I noticed, especially on the right side of the pic, that the chevrons aren't matching up. Can she go back, take out stitching, repin at every intersection so they match up, and steam or manipulate fabric so it matches. That would take the curve out. Right?
Ok, this initiated the OCD in me...

Taking the first upside down section as #1, then to the right, #2

Right half of col #2 has 16 pieces
Left half of col #3 has 15 pieces
Old 11-09-2015, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by quiltmouse View Post
Ok, this initiated the OCD in me...

Taking the first upside down section as #1, then to the right, #2

Right half of col #2 has 16 pieces
Left half of col #3 has 15 pieces
Theyre all like that. . I ran out of strips. Poorly written tutorial....

It'll work. I have to whack off the points so they'll even out.