Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I'm in a Pickle and need some suggestions

I swear the community centre I teach at is giving me less and less time to decide on the following season's classes every year!! I just received an email from the new supervisor requesting what classes to teach for Winter and Spring seasons!!! She wants a decision by Thursday!! WHAT TO TEACH!!!

I teach Monday nights and Saturday mornings.

Yesterday morning, while lying in bed, I decided to teach my Double Irish Chain with the Seminole border and teach that one. Now I need to come up with 3 more classes. HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!

Some classes I would like to take include: quilted purses, quilted sweatshirt designs, rag quilt, applique by machine, free motion quilting. Hope this give you some ideas:wink:

I think a tote class would be quick and easy. :)

Stained glass, applique techniques, small projects that can be completed. A class of border techniques could be fun, too. And origami quilting.

I am more interested in learning techniques to do my own stuff than in reproducing a quilt done by others.

How much time do you have for the classes? When I was starting, I took a weekend class in strip piecing that was really helpful.

Rag quilts would be a fun class to take. I've not done one, but it's on my to-do list.

Banned
    I'm with Moonpi. Classes on techniques are the ones I would consider. I'd like to learn paper piecing and don't think that's so easy to pick up on your own. Maybe something that teaches curved seams, Y seams, and/or partial seams...you know, non-traditional seaming techniques? Alot of folks are afraid of color decisions. Something related to easing that fear, like using a color wheel or paint chips. Ways to figure yardage, change a block size, adapt a pattern, etc. Think about what the most asked questions are here on the board. That should give you a pretty good idea!

bj
    Hi Aggi, one of the things I'd like to take a class for is something with curves, like a Drunkard's Path. I've seen them done on tv, but that seems like something where a little hands-on instruction and a real live person to ask questions as they arise would be very helpful. Good luck coming up with ideas. I don't envy you at all.

Beginners Quiltmaking - rotary cutting, machine piecing, etc. A sampler quilt.

Machine Quilting - including layering and basting, straight lines and freemotion

Binding and other edge finishing techniques

A few I would find helpful:

paper peiceing
    machine applique
    free motion quilting

Good luck deciding!

Power Poster
    if you do bags - closures - how to install/apply zippers, snaps,
    velcro, handles, etc and how to put those foot things on the bottom.. Also where to find these supplies.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast