Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm in a Pickle and need some suggestions >

I'm in a Pickle and need some suggestions

I'm in a Pickle and need some suggestions

Old 09-22-2008, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Moonpi
Stained glass, applique techniques, small projects that can be completed. A class of border techniques could be fun, too. And origami quilting.

I am more interested in learning techniques to do my own stuff than in reproducing a quilt done by others.

How much time do you have for the classes? When I was starting, I took a weekend class in strip piecing that was really helpful.
I think I'm going to try my hand at my eQ6 and come up with a design to teach in the Spring session.

I remember reading on Bonnie's blog that she gives permission for people to use her quilts and to teach them, but requests that each student make an extra block that she can use to put into a charity quilt. Since I almost have the Orange Crush mystery quilt almost done, I think I will teach that one and have my students make a few extra blocks. So for the winter season I will teach my Dbl Irish Chain with Seminole border, and the Orange Crush quilt. In the Spring I need to come up with a couple of shorter 6 week courses. I might do the other mystery Bonnie has up now "Old Tobacco Road" and then come up with my eQ6 design.. perhaps a lap quilt. Something small for me to start with. It's due time I start making my designs into actual quilts. Maybe a machine applique quilt might be a good idea. I like doing those. Perhaps a lap size to get people starting small.

I thought of doing smaller projects too, but over the 4 years I have been at this community centre teaching, people seem to like going for the bigger quilts. Once I get my house and studio, I plan to offer smaller private classes at home and do the smaller projects. I have people interested, but not enough to have a full class at the community centre. I am teaching a Christmas tree skirt and a table runner in November that are 3 and 4 weeks long. I have enough people to teach those (I need a minimum of 4 people of have a class). I find smaller projects fill if they are Christmas related, but not so much the other things. I taught a Chenille pillow course last year privately and had 3 girls. They had a ball!!!

I have until Thursday to give the final decision. I will do a bit of research tonight after my class I teach tonight. I am teaching the kaledioscope quilt on Monday nights and the Crazy patch quilt on Saturday mornings right now. I have 11 women on Monday nights and 8 women on Saturdays.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:10 AM

I just signed up for 2 classes; Machine Quilting and a Quilter's tote. I have no experience with machine quilting other than "stitch in the ditch" and the bag is just really cool :) As a beginner, I would take most of the classes that our fellow readers have suggested. Do you rate your classes so that people know what they're getting into? Example, beginner, confident beginner, intermediate, experienced. Have fun!!!
Old 09-22-2008, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by bj
Hi Aggi, one of the things I'd like to take a class for is something with curves, like a Drunkard's Path. I've seen them done on tv, but that seems like something where a little hands-on instruction and a real live person to ask questions as they arise would be very helpful. Good luck coming up with ideas. I don't envy you at all.
I think the Drunkard's Path is a beautiful quilt, but I am horrible at doing curves
Old 09-22-2008, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Cathe
Beginners Quiltmaking - rotary cutting, machine piecing, etc. A sampler quilt.

Machine Quilting - including layering and basting, straight lines and freemotion

Binding and other edge finishing techniques
hmmm a Sampler might be a good idea... You can do a few different techniques.. hmmmmmmmmmm
Old 09-22-2008, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by mrs theo
I just signed up for 2 classes; Machine Quilting and a Quilter's tote. I have no experience with machine quilting other than "stitch in the ditch" and the bag is just really cool :) As a beginner, I would take most of the classes that our fellow readers have suggested. Do you rate your classes so that people know what they're getting into? Example, beginner, confident beginner, intermediate, experienced. Have fun!!!
yes I always rate my classes, but unfortunately they don't seem to read that part in the registration booklet the community centre sends out. For example, I have a woman in my Monday night kaleioscope class that only learned out to sew a couple months ago. She made a very basic tote bag. This quilt I recommended for people with an intermediate level, and have quilting knowledge. You are doing different cuts and of course stack and whack. A few of these women have never had a rotary cutter in their hands before!!!!! Not to mention, they are not buying the amount of fabric that is needed saying they will work with what they have and make only three layers... ITS NOT GOING TO WORK!!! ITS THE FOUR PATCH POSIE QUILT!! YOU NEED ALL FOUR LAYERS OF FABRIC!! sigh... sorry for the shouting.. it just boggles my mind with some people !!!
Old 09-23-2008, 07:12 AM

Vent away, I don't blame you a bit. I'm a new quilter (just started in the spring) and I have so much to learn!!! I love that the classes at my LQS do the classifying. Both that I just signed up for were for the "Confident Beginner". I also enjoy the quilting magazines that classify their patterns. Some things look more difficult than they actually are and vice versa. It makes it much easier for me to choose projects when they're classified. Good luck with your newbies, maybe you shoudl explain "intermediate" to them :)
Old 09-24-2008, 08:01 AM

how about 'trip around the world' with bold colors and then prairie points to match. beginners should be able to handle that and more experienced quilters can play with color values or make it larger.

there's always 'tesselated maple leaves'. that's very impressive for all levels. finishing up the border could take up the end of your class.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:23 PM

A One Block Wonder class is always fun because everyone does the same pattern but they all turn out so different and very intersting!