Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: I'm trying to find the person that made this...

  1. #1
    HopeToLearn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Northern Ky.
    Posts
    28
    Sorry to post my question in this section but this is the section where the original item was posted so I'm hoping to find help here. One of the quilting members posted this picture recently of an afghan she crocheted & gave to her son. She said she worked on it for over a year. As you can see it is beautiful and intricate. I wanted to PM her about the pattern and process to make this but have misplaced her quilting board username. Does anyone remember seeing this and can you help me locate her post? Thanks for any help!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

  2. #2
    Super Member plainpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Buckeye State
    Posts
    3,621
    Blog Entries
    11
    Can't help, but the afghan is beautiful!

  3. #3
    Super Member mollymct's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    MS
    Posts
    2,349
    I tried to find it! I know I saw it...will let you know if I come across it.

  4. #4
    Super Member DogHouseMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Grundy Co Illinois
    Posts
    5,035
    If you don't find her, I made one years ago that is similar. Mine is just a plain knit a row, purl a row, knit a row blanket in stripes. Once that is done, you sew a single thread through the vertical stitches for the vertical lines. It's unbelivably simple. Mine was a tad different as the vertical lines were crocheted, not stitched. Crocheted makes a heavier line - I like the one above much better.

    OK I just went and took a pic of mine. Mine also had some vertical color changes (the green). You can see the horizontal color changes in mine easy enough as you can see the stitches, and the vertical lines are done with a crochet hook.

    The vertical lines in both afghans were done after knitting with either a needle or a crochet hook. I think that is what was throwing you off.

    Hope this helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  5. #5
    Power Poster dkabasketlady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lakeland, Florida
    Posts
    10,282
    Gorgeous afghan, I can see why you're trying to duplicate it!

  6. #6
    HopeToLearn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Northern Ky.
    Posts
    28
    Thanks for looking for it! I wish I could remember the title she used. That would help a lot with search function. Oh well, I really like it...jot down my user name so you can find me if you do run across it later. Thanks again:!:

    Quote Originally Posted by mollymct
    I tried to find it! I know I saw it...will let you know if I come across it.

  7. #7
    Super Member Quilt Mom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Headed home
    Posts
    2,416
    This afghan was pictured in a thread with a quilt the person had made for her daughter - the afghan was for her son, I think... I will look, too.

    Try this link - is this the afghan?

    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-102003-1.htm

  8. #8
    HopeToLearn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Northern Ky.
    Posts
    28
    Thank you so much for replying and giving the instructions along with your picture...it really helps me. I like your blanket too.

    I think I understand your explanation. It is a simple horizontal knit/purl stitch blanket with whatever color changes one wants as they go along until completed. The plaid only comes into play when it is finished, using a blunt needle to 'weave' a single thread vertically through the stitches. Is this correct?

    In the case of yours, did you crochet together strips of knit? Or did you crochet a color line over the top of your knitting?

    Thank you again for your very informative reply!



    Quote Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
    If you don't find her, I made one years ago that is similar. Mine is just a plain knit a row, purl a row, knit a row blanket in stripes. Once that is done, you sew a single thread through the vertical stitches for the vertical lines. It's unbelivably simple. Mine was a tad different as the vertical lines were crocheted, not stitched. Crocheted makes a heavier line - I like the one above much better.

    OK I just went and took a pic of mine. Mine also had some vertical color changes (the green). You can see the horizontal color changes in mine easy enough as you can see the stitches, and the vertical lines are done with a crochet hook.

    The vertical lines in both afghans were done after knitting with either a needle or a crochet hook. I think that is what was throwing you off.

    Hope this helps.
    :!: :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-P :-P :-P

  9. #9
    HopeToLearn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Northern Ky.
    Posts
    28
    YES! This is it! Thank you so much!

    All you on this board are so nice and helpful!!!


    Quote Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
    This afghan was pictured in a thread with a quilt the person had made for her daughter - the afghan was for her son, I think... I will look, too.

    Try this link - is this the afghan?

    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-102003-1.htm

  10. #10
    Super Member DogHouseMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Grundy Co Illinois
    Posts
    5,035
    Quote Originally Posted by HopeToLearn
    I think I understand your explanation. It is a simple horizontal knit/purl stitch blanket with whatever color changes one wants as they go along until completed. The plaid only comes into play when it is finished, using a blunt needle to 'weave' a single thread vertically through the stitches. Is this correct?

    In the case of yours, did you crochet together strips of knit? Or did you crochet a color line over the top of your knitting?

    Thank you again for your very informative reply!
    Correct - knit one row, purl one row. Make color changes as applicable with each row. The entire row is one color.

    Correct - use a blunt needle, like a needlepoint needle, and it looks like a plain running stitch in each vertical row of knitting.

    In mine - the whole thing was knitted - knit one row, purl one row. The only difference in my knitting is that I had color changes along the way (the green squares). The only crochet work was to crochet in the vertical lines.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.