Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Improving "eyesight" >

Improving "eyesight"

Improving "eyesight"

Old 10-31-2010, 12:40 PM

Mono vision contacts for me too. At this time one of them is a bi-focal for close and mid distance and my left eye has a contact for distance. It did take a few weeks, and I tried more than one strength and more than one brand. Maybe a trip back to the eye DR?
Old 10-31-2010, 01:43 PM

I couldn't get used to the whole bifocal thing. I wear a pair of glasses for distance and "normal" things. I have another pair for reading and sewing.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:49 PM

I've covered many options with my eye doctor. Mono-vision, Lasik, bifocals. I actually have bifocals, but need a new pair. I opted out of surgery because I don't want to lose that up close vision that I have without any correction. I'm pretty sure the headache came from pulling the glasses on and off. And hannajo, don't think you're the only one... I've worn reading glasses on top of regular glasses!!!! Kinda created my own bifocal world! LOL. I guess I'll try a higher strength reading glasses and see how much that helps.

Thanks for all the replies. Too bad all of us can't mysteriously have our eyesight perfectly restored, eh?

Happy quilting to all!
Old 10-31-2010, 07:53 PM

SuziC, It only took me a few weeks to totaly get used to mono. I love it. I haven't had glasses nor 2 contacts for over 30 yrs. You just have to hang in there. I can remember that I felt drunk all the time & couldn't focus well at the beginning. How long have you been trying? Keep trying & don't concentrate too much on seeing clear . It is your brain that has to adjust. It has to tell one eye to see close & the other to see far. Let me know if I can help you. As they say if you want something bad enough "you can do it".
Donna, The Rustic Quilter
Old 11-01-2010, 03:08 AM

I Too have worn contacts and have monovision. Am over the seventy-five mark and can still thread a needle without any help from add glasses. I sometimes close the distance-vision eye and it helps. There is a more than 4 diopter difference in correction for near vision. There is a certain amount of determination that has to take place. Worked as a optometric assistant for over 20 years and taught lots of patients to wear CL, and know that from experience.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by nance-ell
I opted out of surgery because I don't want to lose that up close vision that I have without any correction. ... I've worn reading glasses on top of regular glasses!!!! Kinda created my own bifocal world! LOL. I guess I'll try a higher strength reading glasses and see how much that helps.
I wear glasses on top of glasses too, when I'm doing things like hand sewing and watching television. I keep asking for better reading correction in my varifocals and keep being told they're correct as they are. My closeup vision is good without glasses and I don't want to lose that, but as I have problems with dryness when wearing contacts I'm not a candidate for surgery anyway.

I do still have some contact lenses in the house, perhaps I should try wearing just one and see how I get on! It might be interesting, LOL.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:21 AM

I have vision in only one eye and that is thanks to a cornea transplant. The vision seems to vary just a bit from day to day. I use a magnifier and bright light as an absolute necessity. At least it works!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-117136.jpe  
Old 11-01-2010, 04:27 AM

I am also near sighted. And wear my contacts when sewing.
My contacts are monovision. One contact is for close up, and the other contact is for distance. I don't have any problems when sewing. But when I need to do hand work, I wear my glasses. They are no line bifocals and I can get better stitches with them.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:48 AM

I wear contacts, too , and have several pairs of "readers" in different strengths depending on what I need to see.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:01 AM

I have worn progressive lens for years. I had bi-focals at first but couldn't read the music at the organ. It was in that never land. The PG lens fixed that. Also, I am a BIG fan of proper light. I have three Ott lites that I use for sewing. Those little lites on the machines are a joke. My son does professional lighting for the entertainment field and they mostly use LED's. He can't understand why they don't have them on the machines.