Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Visor with lenses for helping when quilting with bad eyesight

Visor with lenses for helping when quilting with bad eyesight

Really struggling to do nice stitches on a binding with nothing but my OTT light to help. Has anyone purchased the kind of visor that magnifies your vision? Does it work for you? Many thanks!

Not personally but did buy one for my grandmother a couple of decades ago. She was thrilled she was able to do needlework again after not being able to do so for many years. Might also want to try a halogen light vs the ott light. Haven't used an ott light personally but love my halogen lights. Think the light is much brighter and cleaner.

I think I'd check out dollar store reading glasses first. And then I'd go see an eye doctor.

Power Poster
    I purchased set of magnifying lenses for my Bernina machine. I don't know if other machines have them. There are lights and magnifiers at Walmart that might help.

I don't know if you are talking about Loops that fit around your head and the lens flips down. I use them for most of my hand work. Mine was purchased by a dentist friend through his supply source, but you can google and find them on line. They are a little on the pricey side (about $150), but well worth it when I'm hand quilting. The downside is you can't watch TV while you are using them. Mine came with three strengths of lens. I've also used and still have some loops that I bought in Hobby Lobby. They were in the $15 - $25 range, but worked. I also use the lens that clip onto your glasses. They work well for those projects that don't require "fine" stitching. I purchased those at Keepsake Quilting, and I think they are around $15.

I already wear very strong glasses

I have a pair of cross stitch glasses that clip to my regular glasses .... nice magnification. I've had them for years, purchased at a cross stitch convention but I'm sure you can find anything via google.com
    Sandy
    http://sandyquilts.blogspot.com

I did not know you could buy lenses that clip right to your glasses!

I have not tried them but could be pretty good idea!

I'm no help but good luck with finding something to help you with your hand work!

You got me curious, and I found these that clipped to glasses.

http://www.amazon.com/Magniclip-Clip..._sim_sbs_hpc_3

They look like they would work.

I bought a round magnifier from Hobby Lobby (with my 40% off coupon) for about $6., but this looks like it would work better. The magnifier from Hobby Lobby is about 6 inches round and hangs around the neck from a cord. It has a sort of "handle/stand" that sits on your breast bone to sort of put it where you can do handwork without having to hold it up. That might work for you...you might look into that. I found it around the cross stitch stuff. It worked okay, but I think I like this one from Amazon better. It is a whole different idea though.

I hope you figure out something that works for you. (I also wear very strong glasses...I don't recall the weight of the Amazon ones....might make glasses too heavy??)

Dina

Here is my magnifier from Hobby Lobby....just in case.

I am curious if anyone has tried the visor magnifier you mentioned (and are actually asking about.) I will be reading this thread to see if anyone has.

http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/...nifier-310581/

Good luck. I hope you figure out something that works for you.

Dina

I use a magnifying floor lamp for my hand work. Something like this but it stands on the floor and I can roll it where ever I need it.. http://www.ebay.com/bhp/dazor-magnifying-lamp I finally found the brand I have, it's Dazor maginafier lamp. I use it all the time, worth every penny.
    Last edited by sandi227; 07-12-2013 at 07:07 PM.

I got mine at Harbor Freight and they were not expensive and work great!! Came with 4 interchangable lenses. I use them for embroidery and also for taking out quilting stitches. I was ready to buy the more expensive from the medical supply until I came across these at Harbor Freight.
    jackie

I have some I got at Hobby Lobby 10 years ago...I wear them when doing cross stitch, small needle work. They are great. They are a green plastic thing that goes around the front of your head (kinda visor like) With several different lenses that are different strengths.

Blog Entries
    I have used mine for about 5 years they came from Harbor freight I think or anyway the ones they sell are similar got mine at yard sale $2

Blog Entries
    I am extremely nearsighted, so if I want to see things up close, I take off my glasses. When I am sewing I wear reading glasses over my prescription glasses. No fun that the old eyes don't work like they use to. I have also noticed that my sense of smell is fading too.
    Murphy1
    For our wonderful Golden Retriever adopted in March of 2010.