Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Info on how to bind using backing fabric >

Info on how to bind using backing fabric

Info on how to bind using backing fabric

Old 01-08-2009, 04:12 AM

I always use the "mock binding" method. Likewise I didn't know it had such a fancy name, I always called it the fold over method.

I haven't figured out how to the the "regular" binding.

I use the Stitch Whitchery So I get everything just so. I might take an extra step or two but I like the results after the "mock binding" is finished.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:44 AM

I pin carefully at my corners. You can attack corners similar to the way you would add a binding on to make them mitered. I haven't really found my knack for mitered corners yet, so for now, I just pin up the hem. I treat it like a border. I pin the sides to the inside of the corner, and the top and bottom to the outside for the hem. It's not very fancy, but creates almost a picture frame look.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:56 AM

My trouble is that every single time I have tried to do this I always end up "nicking" the backing material as I'm cutting away the batting. I spray baste so it's pretty stuck. Perhaps I'm not careful enough?

Seeing this post makes me wonder if I just cut the batting with the back perhaps I can bind it without cutting away the binding? Just bind them up together. It would be a bit thick of course.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Elizabeth A.
Seeing this post makes me wonder if I just cut the batting with the back perhaps I can bind it without cutting away the binding? Just bind them up together. It would be a bit thick of course.
I bet that would work especially if you want a bigger binding. Maybe when you spray baste you don't spray quite as far to the edge and see if that works. Why don't you experiment and post a picture. I think that would be really nice for a baby or child's quilt. Come to think of it, when I made quilts for my neices and nephews 20+ years ago, when info was not easy to find I did your method on their quilts because I didn't know you trimmed the batting off and put a binding on.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by DA Mayer
Originally Posted by Elizabeth A.
I bet that would work especially if you want a bigger binding. Maybe when you spray baste you don't spray quite as far to the edge and see if that works. Why don't you experiment and post a picture. I think that would be really nice for a baby or child's quilt. Come to think of it, when I made quilts for my neices and nephews 20+ years ago, when info was not easy to find I did your method on their quilts because I didn't know you trimmed the batting off and put a binding on.
My three rough and tumble boys are hard on everything. I have found, that if I just fold up the sides and sew instead of adding binding, the quilts don't fall apart on the edge as easily as when they are bound. Also, baby quilts need washed so much moreso than regular quilts, all of my baby quilts are hemmed and tied instead of quilted. I don't tend to trim my batting off though, unless I just have way to much at the end. It makes for almost a pillow like edge. But, I'm sure each quiltmaker has their own style.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:22 PM

You can also use Sharon Schamber's Elmer's School Glue method of tacking down the binding on the front before you sew it down. That will help with the corners too!

Discussion here ... http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-18328-1.htm
and here http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-29275-1.htm

Cheers,
Linda
Old 03-21-2010, 06:37 PM

That is not stingy........there is an art to tying a quilt. I tie a lot of my lap quilts and twin size quilts. It is really cool to see how you can match the embroidery thread to the fabric in such a way that you really can't tell that it is tied, because you don't notice it at all. :thumbup: