View Single Post
Old 01-08-2009, 12:41 PM
mpeters1200

Originally Posted by DA Mayer
Originally Posted by Elizabeth A.
Seeing this post makes me wonder if I just cut the batting with the back perhaps I can bind it without cutting away the binding? Just bind them up together. It would be a bit thick of course.
I bet that would work especially if you want a bigger binding. Maybe when you spray baste you don't spray quite as far to the edge and see if that works. Why don't you experiment and post a picture. I think that would be really nice for a baby or child's quilt. Come to think of it, when I made quilts for my neices and nephews 20+ years ago, when info was not easy to find I did your method on their quilts because I didn't know you trimmed the batting off and put a binding on.
My three rough and tumble boys are hard on everything. I have found, that if I just fold up the sides and sew instead of adding binding, the quilts don't fall apart on the edge as easily as when they are bound. Also, baby quilts need washed so much moreso than regular quilts, all of my baby quilts are hemmed and tied instead of quilted. I don't tend to trim my batting off though, unless I just have way to much at the end. It makes for almost a pillow like edge. But, I'm sure each quiltmaker has their own style.