Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Inherited polyester quilt top what to do? >

Inherited polyester quilt top what to do?

Inherited polyester quilt top what to do?

Old 05-22-2013, 01:28 PM

Honestly, I do believe there was so much polyester back in the '70's that everyone used it. You really had to hunt for something other than calico cotton. I remember when I first started quilting in 1978 I would go to Woolworth's and TG&Y for cotton fabric. House of Fabrics had a lot of fabric but it was expensive. Sears had some fabric and yarn back then but it was mostly polyester and most quilt instructions told you to use cotton. I did buy the polyester batting because it seemed to hold up better. Also, it was known the polyester fabrics held their color better than cotton.

Personally I preferred to sew with cotton or wool. It didn't slide as much.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:05 PM

I also have a poly quilt. My Aunt made it for me using a lot of my Grandmothers clothing. She backed it with a sheet and tied it. No batting. Not really sure if you need batting, it's really warm without it.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:12 PM

I'm reasonably certain the popcorn quilt my husband's grandmother made is made out of polyester crepe. Since the popcorn quilt is made from triangles made of folded squares that are sewn, stuffed, so then the polyester is on both sides of the quilt.

You can finish your polyester top with any type of backing you want. I'd probably use poly batting in it.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:32 AM

I believe that all of us must have someone in our family who loved double knits! I have several quilts made by my MIL, all are tied and she used mostly sheets for backing. They all are full size, remember in the 70's we did not see many queen or king beds. I love them, use them all the time and could not even begin to guess how many times they have been washed. Still look as good as they did when I got them.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:59 AM

I too have polyester quilts my Mother made. The beauty of these quilts and they are sturdy and will last FOREVER! She backed one with a very light weight polyester and the other with a sheet. No need to add batting, as they are very warm too.

**Forgot to add: they are both hand-tied.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:44 AM

I told a very dear friend of DHs that I would quilt a quilt top his Mother had made years ago. Never thinking to ask any questions, and then it appeared double knit. So I put it on my mid-arm frame and off we go right? WRONG!.... Nightmare city for me. Maybe others have fancier machines or theirs likes double knit, my machine hated it. It pulled, puckered, stretched and I about wore out a new seam ripper or 2. Finally just finished it, but was not happy with the results!... Dear friend was so sweet about it and said he liked it, but I still feel I done it no justice. I pray you have better luck than I did. My lesson is I will NEVER try to machine quilt double knit again!....
Old 05-23-2013, 05:46 AM

Yes, I think they did! I have a poly one and a cotton one from each respective Gramma and I love that they made them for me
Old 05-23-2013, 06:10 AM

My aunt gave me bags and bags of blue slack weight polyester already but for a bow tie quilt many years ago. It was my first quilt. the only thing I remember about the quilt was how heavy it was. Keep that in mind as you are adding the backing and batting.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:26 AM

Isn't it funny how the pendulum swings and times change? Growing up in the fifties, my mom made my clothes from cotton. Lots of ironing. And quilts were made from the scraps. When polyester came in the 60s, much easier to care for and no ironing! hallelujah !!! And quilts were made from the scraps. Later natural fibers came back, sometimes with something else--poly, linen or rayon. But many of us go to the quilt shop now for 100/ cotton! I don't think I want to quilt with cotton and spandex! I think if I had a double knit quilt, I would back it with flannel , no batting and tie it. JMHO.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:58 AM

Qltr Sue, I feel the same way. That's what I plan to do with the double knit quilt top passed to me. The batting is not needed in the Deep South where I live and would only add to the weight.