Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Inherited polyester quilt top what to do? >

Inherited polyester quilt top what to do?

Inherited polyester quilt top what to do?

Old 05-22-2013, 09:40 AM

Default Inherited polyester quilt top what to do?

My grandmother had a fondness for polyester. Ok more than a fondness, she loved it. She was an accomplished seamstress and made all of her clothes out of polyester. Out of the leftovers she made these beautiful quilts. I would love to finish the quilt top I inherited but what do you use for backing? I do not want to use polyester, unlike her I do not have a fondness for it. LOL. But I do love the quilt and would love to finish it in her memory. Thanks Beth
Old 05-22-2013, 10:01 AM
Power Poster

Use what you want on the back. Since it's polyester, maybe no batt and non-pill fleece might be an option. Since it will be warm perhaps flannel on the back would be like a Granny hug in the winter?
Old 05-22-2013, 10:15 AM

I have a polyester quilt my grandmother made for me back in the late 70s/early 80s. She used a muslin backing. It's kind of puffy so I think she used a poly batting. And she tied rather than quilted it. Oh, and it's a polyester double knit applique! The squares behind the polyester appliques are cotton, the sashing and borders are double knit. Everything about it would send the quilt police into riot mode. But she made it just for me and I love it. Used it for years and it was really warm.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:16 AM

With the church group who are making charity lap quilts, polyester knit fabrics have been donated, We place either the same kind or cotton on the back and tie or machine quilt them. The colors are unique,
Old 05-22-2013, 12:22 PM

I have 2 double knit polyester quilts both have low loft batting and are tied, Grandma used good quality cotton sheets for the backing, these quilts have been very well used, taken on pick nicks, camping, on beds, used to make tents, you name it they have ben involved, one was even hauled out to the barn when my daughter's horse had the colic, she said it made him feel loved LOL, all bright colors, now my grand's are asking for some like them for there homes. LOL
Old 05-22-2013, 12:31 PM

My MIL made a polyester baby quilt for my daughter when she was born in 1976. She backed hers with polyester material and tied it. When I repaired it recently, I couldn't tell if she had used any batting. My DD loves the polyester quilt her grandmother made for her.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Pam S View Post
I have a polyester quilt my grandmother made for me back in the late 70s/early 80s...Everything about it would send the quilt police into riot mode. But she made it just for me and I love it...
I am still chuckling at the image of the Quilt Police in their riot gear: neatly pieced and appliqued Kevlar aprons with matching quilted oven mitts and potholders; perhaps an intricately embroidered snood as a helmet. And an equipment belt bursting with betweens and spools of cotton quilting thread!

*snort*

Alison
Old 05-22-2013, 01:20 PM

Oh my!!! did all of our Grandmothers make us a polyester double knit in the 70's??? I have one that my Grandmother made me it is
applique daisy's the work in it is beautiful but I can not figure out how to display it without sing staying alive.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:21 PM

This is the only time that I would suggest using a queen or king-sized flat bed sheet that is a poly blend.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:23 PM

AlisonQuilts, You guys are a hoot. I can't stay off this machine, because I love to read what you say. We use a double knit quilt all winter. 6 inch squares, batting flannel backing and tied or machine quilted that my 91 yr. old sister made. It is warm and washes like a dream. I have several that she made. Also lap quilts.

Last edited by barny; 05-22-2013 at 01:25 PM.