Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Inklingo v. Cricut Imagine >

Inklingo v. Cricut Imagine

Inklingo v. Cricut Imagine

Old 05-30-2011, 04:20 AM

I was reading a bit yesterday about Inklingo for quilters. It seems to be basically using a ink jet printer and printing fine line printing to use in paper piecing and applique and either hand sewing or machine stitiching.

Basically it is taking a design say of an hexagon and placing it to print as many as is needed to use in a block/quilt, printing it, cutting it either with a rotary cutter or scissors and sewing it. I forgot to mention it is printed reverse side on fabric also using freezer paper on back to hold fabric down while going through the printer.

I suppose this is a good technique if you are a rotary or scissor cutter however to me it sounds like a lot of work. I told myself why can't it be done with Provo Crafts Cricut Imagine printing die cutting machine. It can!

For those of you not familiar with Provo Craft and there Cricut electronic die cutters this is what I'm talking about. They improved on the Expression machine last year by coming out with a combo printer and cutter all in one.

One could also use the Cricut Expression machine which allows tracing an object with ink cart pencils that fit the machine and one can remove it after it is traced and put in the cutting blade and hit repeat last and it will cut the project.

I guess there is room for all types of techiques and toys for us to use to create blocks, cut them out and sew.

Nice thing about Inklingo and also the Cricut machines is you can design, cut it and paperpiece and/or applique right from the fabric to the sewing machine.

It's amazing the different methods of getting things done when it comes to quilting.