Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Imagine doing this!

I can't imagine doing all this hand embroidery on this crazy quilt top...every time I look at it I see something I didn't see before. Unfortunately, this quilt top was never finished. It is very old...the fabric is so fragile that some of it crumbled when I laid it out to take the picture.

[url]

That is a beautiful quilt and you are right - Lots of beautiful hand embroidery. Hard to imagine. That would take me the rest of my life.

stunning what fun to have such a quilt

:shock: Stunning!!

Izy
    wow!!!!!!!! :D

Blog Entries
    Wow!!!!!!!!!!! Great job. Just love it.

Wow that is really cool

gorgeous!!Where did you get it from?

I saw one like this a few years ago when I was living in Nova Scotia. I use to have a woman sell my quilts in her quilting consignment shop in Lunenburg. She had a quilt very similar to this one on display in a special custom made glass case. It was not for sale. It was dated back in the early to mid 1800s. It was absolutely amazing to see!!!

I take it this one is in your family!!! What an heirloom to have!!

Gorgeous!!! So what is the story on this? Family heirloom or did you buy it? Not that it matters, it is a treasure how ever you came by it!!!!!!! Just curious!!!!!! :D

Banned
    that is alot of work yet so beautiful

Old silks are so fragile. It is stunning!

It is beautiful. Anxious to hear where you got it from. Is it from a family member?

It is amazing! I wonder who did all that gorgeous hand work & how long it took her to do it? How lucky you are to have it. :mrgreen:

I really don't know a lot of history about it but as well as I can tell the quilt dates back to the early 1800's. I found it in a plastic bag among my mother's quilt pieces after she passed. I don't know...maybe she was going to try to finish it. It's amazing when you see all the hand work and artistic talent that went into a quilt that never got finished....some lady must have spent lots of long winter nights working on it.

incredible, have you thought about talking to some one about how to preserve it so it doesn't have any more damage to it? would be a shame to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Loretta
    I think you have a museum piece here and I hope you can get it appraised very soon. It should be displayed in a special case. The embroidery work is stunning and you own a very valuable quilt! Congratulations! Let us know what you decide to do with it.
    I agree.... it definetely should be appraised and properly displayed under safe lighting or stored properly. Just go to your local museum and they could tell you the proper way to handle your quilt. What an amazing and stunning piece you have there. There is just so much work put into it!

Blog Entries
    That would take me the rest of my life.
    Unfortunately, this quilt top was never finished.
    Maybe that's why it was never finished! It's beautiful.

I saw one on display in Alaska at a museum. Fell in love with it. It was from the Russia era of Alaska. Silk, brocade and I thinl velvet.

How beautiful!!!

Congrats on a beautiful old quilt top.

Blog Entries
    Oh my gosh!!! That is just gorgeous and you are an extremely lucky girl to have that. Wonder where on earth your Mom got that?? Its funny what we find...I know I learned things about my Mom that I for sure didn't know :shock: No...none of it was bad...just weird.. :lol:

Anyway, I agree...you should definetly work with a museum on that quilt, it would be a shame for it to suffer any further damage.

Gorgeous!! Is there any way at all to salvage it? That is way too much work to waste.

Banned
    This is a great example of a crazy quilt. These quilts date to the last quarter of the 19th century. About 1875 - 1900.

Some of the fabrics are falling apart, which is very typical of these quilts, due to the metal mordants used in the dyes. The silks are the worst for this deteriation. You will find some patches where the silk threads have gone away, leaving just the linen or cotton warp threads. This is all very normal for these crazy quilts.

Do not wash this quilt.

You can hand tack a piece of organza over the areas that are falling off the quilt to stablize those areas. Do not store it in plastic. An acid free box with acid free paper rolled up and placed in the folds is a great way to store and protect it in your home. You can buy these boxes very resonably these days from mail order houses. Be sure that you are buying acid free boxes.

Dont store on a wood shelf or in contact with wood of any kind. The acid in the wood will transfer to the textile.

If you cant obtain a box, a pillow case will also work to protect it from dust. The most damaging effects on textiles are caused by dust, humidity and light.

Crazy quilts do not stand up to hanging for long periods of time...actually none of your quilts should hang for more that a month at a time.. but crazy quilts are especially fragile. I would not hang it at all unless it is just for a day or so at a show. Even at our shows, we tend to lay crazy quilts on a table rather than hanging. I suggest just getting it out to look at it once in a while and refold in a different place each time.

When you say it is not finished, are you referring to the quilt not having a back or are there sections that are not embroidered?

Many of these quilts never had a backing applied. They cannot be quilted. I have seen some of them that have had a backing applied by seaming around the edge and tacked in a couple of places.

Such a beauty!!!

Thanks for an informative post on the proper care and storage of the quilt. The blocks have many different types of fabric in them.
    When I said unfinished I mean there are 7 additional plain crazy quilt blocks (about 18" squares) without any embroidery on them that haven't been sewn to the main quilt. The edges of the quilt are raw...no binding.
    As far as backing, the crazy pieces were hand sewn onto a square of fabric (some appear to be cheese cloth or linen).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast