Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Inspiration from old Quilting magizines >

Inspiration from old Quilting magizines

Inspiration from old Quilting magizines

Old 03-09-2014, 06:32 AM

Default Inspiration from old Quilting magizines

How many of you like to just sit and look at old quilting magazines? I sure do. I love looking at things that people have made and often long to understand the techniques they used. Its how I get my best inspirations and ideas. It also shows just how creative people really can be. Then there are the simple quilts that are just as wonderful. Why even just changing the color scheme makes an entirely different quilt. I just got a new bunch that I am looking through now. I'm in Hog Heaven.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:36 AM

I do the same! I have a whole stack of old quilting magazines that I go to when I'm on the lookout for a pattern. I like them because all give you different styles of quilting since the preferred style changes so often. It's nice when you want something a bit different from the current norm.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:41 AM

The "used" bookstore i go to, bundles them up 10 for a dollar. I buy a couple of bundles, pick out what I want and recycle the rest. I enjoy looking through them.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:44 AM
Power Poster

I like looking back through quilt magazines. I did get rid of all my really old ones that use templates though. I didn't want one to catch my eye and have to try to work with templates again.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:49 AM

That is one reason I have not gotten rid of my old quilt magazines. I can take them out and find inspiration anytime. Classic quilts never go out of style.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:51 AM

I keep all my old mags to look thru later. Its like a new mag after awhile.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:54 AM

I find I fall in love with fabrics that are hard to find, like there isn't enough new fabric I love. For example, I finally have acquired all the fabrics for the Witch Way Hairraising fabrics from 2005. Now that I have all the fabrics needed that will be my next quilt. Older quilting magazines get me in trouble.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:10 AM
KLO

If you keep the magazines long enough, it's like looking at a new one when you pull it out years later. That's one way to save on subscriptions. ha Like you I find some neat quilts or techniques that I want to try. Since moving, I have gone through all my magazines and decided which ones to keep, which ones to pull patterns out of, and which ones to recycle. I still have two piles to get rid of but none of my quilting buddies want them.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:11 AM

I do, too!! I recently fell and broke my elbow..had to have surgery (long story). I am sitting and going thru the HUGE pile of mags. I tag the quilts I like...If a mag has more than two quilts tagged, I'll keep it. If not, I'll scan onto my computer and donate the mags. Trust me, it's a BIG chore!!

One thing I've discovered....a # of times I've found the SAME quilt in later issues!!! shame on them!!!!
Old 03-09-2014, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma View Post
If a mag has more than two quilts tagged, I'll keep it. If not, I'll scan onto my computer and donate the mags. Trust me, it's a BIG chore!!
I do the same thing. Periodically I've been given large bunches of magazines. I go through them page by page, marking down anything that looks like something I'd actually want to do some day. If no pages get turned, the magazine gets donated.

Every so often, I go through the saved stack again. Often I am caught by the same quilts I marked the first time, but if I look at a pattern and don't feel it anymore, off that magazine goes. I donate to the library to sell in the bookstore. I figure it's good for other quilters and good for other readers – win/win!