Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Interesting gadget...anyone try it? >

Interesting gadget...anyone try it?

Interesting gadget...anyone try it?

Old 11-08-2012, 04:20 AM

well it looks interesting and I did watch a few videos but they were all short and only showed one area at a time, I would like to see one from start to finish, will go back later and see if I can find one. But what I did see seemed pretty nice.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:13 AM

I will always take the little bit of extra time and sew the binding by hand. IMHO sewing the binding on the machine makes it look like its a mass produced quilt. With the expence and time i put into a quilt, sitting in the evening and watching tv while sewing the binding down by hand is a nice way to finish up the project.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
I saw a video yesterday and Nancy did beautiful corners with it, but I don't need another gadget.
Where did you see the video? I have one, but my quilts always seem too thick to fit in that slot.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:01 AM

From the pic it seems that this attachment is used to sew the back of the binding down by sewing it in the ditch in the front after it has been machine sewed first to the back then flipped over so this gadget can finish it? As far as mitering the corners....I think, if I were using this, I would stop sewing near the corner, do the miter, and do that without the attachment, then back with attachment to do just the straight runs????? I think I better go to Nancy's site and see if I can see the demo video....if it does work it would be reat.....when I try to sew that back down by machine in the front ditch, I usually end up "missing" parts of it because I cannot see the back edge and sometimes I just can't "feel" it either.....or if I do sew it down from the back, it does not always lay hidden in the ditch in the front............so back to hand sewing it down............
Old 11-08-2012, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
From the pic it seems that this attachment is used to sew the back of the binding down by sewing it in the ditch in the front after it has been machine sewed first to the back then flipped over so this gadget can finish it? As far as mitering the corners....I think, if I were using this, I would stop sewing near the corner, do the miter, and do that without the attachment, then back with attachment to do just the straight runs????? I think I better go to Nancy's site and see if I can see the demo video....if it does work it would be reat.....when I try to sew that back down by machine in the front ditch, I usually end up "missing" parts of it because I cannot see the back edge and sometimes I just can't "feel" it either.....or if I do sew it down from the back, it does not always lay hidden in the ditch in the front............so back to hand sewing it down............
This is the place for School Glue. Glue the binding in the back and then stitch from the front. You shouldn't "miss" anything that way.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:15 AM

I have one and it will not work on my FW even though the directions say it will. Have yet to try it on my Kenmore.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:26 AM

Well, I just went to Nancy's Notions to see the demo and yes, it was chopped and incomplete, so I went to Martelli's website......and watched 4 videos on the "complete" process, phew.....it seemed like a lot of work to me.........then I went to their webstore and almost fell off the stool when I saw the price for the "complete kit" $149.99....way too much for me to pay. Like someone on board said, with just a bit more patience and practice and slowness, it can be done without all that mechanical stuff....but to each is own...........I did not realize they have only been in business for about 2 yrs..........JMHO
Old 11-08-2012, 07:45 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I bought one. You sew your binding to the back and then you use this foot to sew your binding to the front. It was a hassle for me to get use to at first but it really worked. I bought it with the zip bind system, which was a pain in the neck by the way. But if you used this foot and worked slowly and carefully, it worked perfectly. But I became impatient. Maybe I need to get that back out and try it again on my quilts I need to bind. I'm planning on machine binding them to the front anyway. So, to tell you, it really works. It takes some getting use to is all. And some patience!
Old 11-08-2012, 08:29 AM

I'd have to try it out first, but just looking at it I have my doubts. I agree with Paper Princess. Years ago I took a class where we were all given Bernina loaners. One of the projects we made was a little purse, and we used the binding attachment. It worked beautifully - you feed the binding material into the slot and it folds the binding around the fabric and sews it on all at once. It took me a couple of weeks to stop being impressed enough to realize that there was no way to sew around corners.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:34 AM

Interesting item but have not tried it. Was wondering how it handled the metered corners. Doesn't look like it will handle that part. Will put on my future to check out list.

Last edited by Rumbols; 11-08-2012 at 08:38 AM.