Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Interesting gadget...anyone try it?

Blog Entries

Interesting gadget...anyone try it?

Found this while surfing...anyone try it yet?

http://www.nancysnotions.com/product...inder+foot.do#

Had one and it broke,not very sturdy........
    Mary

Very interesting! Not tried it.

Blog Entries
    I have a different binding foot. It takes a bit of practice, but works great on a straight run. The problem I have is what do you do when you get to the corner. I've not seen a foot instruction or demo that shows how you would do a miter.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Blog Entries
    they have a couple you tube videos that I watched and I thought I would like it .......a kit called the zip binding kit I think it was had that foot plus other stuff $60. plus shipping so I decided to wait.
    Here is the link I guess it was $69http://search.nancysnotions.com/?q=zip+binding&Search.x=38&Search.y=14&sp_cs=UTF-8
    Last edited by BeckyB; 11-07-2012 at 05:58 AM. Reason: found link to add
    It is easier to be wise for others than for ourselves.

Blog Entries
    Think I would have the same concerns as PaperPrincess regarding mitered corners.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

Blog Entries
    Looks great for a long run of straight sewing but the corners would be a problem. I practiced sewing binding by machine for a long time and now it's easy without special feet. It took many practice quilts and several seam rippers to get the hang of it. Practice, Practice, Practice. Nothing looks worse on a quilt then crooked machine sewn binding.
    Got fabric?

My friend has one and swears by it - but she only uses it to attach the binding on the front then she hand sews the binding on the back - it just wasn't my cup of tea.

Blog Entries
    I saw a video yesterday and Nancy did beautiful corners with it, but I don't need another gadget.

I didn't like mine.

well it looks interesting and I did watch a few videos but they were all short and only showed one area at a time, I would like to see one from start to finish, will go back later and see if I can find one. But what I did see seemed pretty nice.
    Amythyst

I will always take the little bit of extra time and sew the binding by hand. IMHO sewing the binding on the machine makes it look like its a mass produced quilt. With the expence and time i put into a quilt, sitting in the evening and watching tv while sewing the binding down by hand is a nice way to finish up the project.

Quote Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
    I saw a video yesterday and Nancy did beautiful corners with it, but I don't need another gadget.
    Where did you see the video? I have one, but my quilts always seem too thick to fit in that slot.

From the pic it seems that this attachment is used to sew the back of the binding down by sewing it in the ditch in the front after it has been machine sewed first to the back then flipped over so this gadget can finish it? As far as mitering the corners....I think, if I were using this, I would stop sewing near the corner, do the miter, and do that without the attachment, then back with attachment to do just the straight runs????? I think I better go to Nancy's site and see if I can see the demo video....if it does work it would be reat.....when I try to sew that back down by machine in the front ditch, I usually end up "missing" parts of it because I cannot see the back edge and sometimes I just can't "feel" it either.....or if I do sew it down from the back, it does not always lay hidden in the ditch in the front............so back to hand sewing it down............

Quote Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
    From the pic it seems that this attachment is used to sew the back of the binding down by sewing it in the ditch in the front after it has been machine sewed first to the back then flipped over so this gadget can finish it? As far as mitering the corners....I think, if I were using this, I would stop sewing near the corner, do the miter, and do that without the attachment, then back with attachment to do just the straight runs????? I think I better go to Nancy's site and see if I can see the demo video....if it does work it would be reat.....when I try to sew that back down by machine in the front ditch, I usually end up "missing" parts of it because I cannot see the back edge and sometimes I just can't "feel" it either.....or if I do sew it down from the back, it does not always lay hidden in the ditch in the front............so back to hand sewing it down............
    This is the place for School Glue. Glue the binding in the back and then stitch from the front. You shouldn't "miss" anything that way.

I have one and it will not work on my FW even though the directions say it will. Have yet to try it on my Kenmore.

Well, I just went to Nancy's Notions to see the demo and yes, it was chopped and incomplete, so I went to Martelli's website......and watched 4 videos on the "complete" process, phew.....it seemed like a lot of work to me.........then I went to their webstore and almost fell off the stool when I saw the price for the "complete kit" $149.99....way too much for me to pay. Like someone on board said, with just a bit more patience and practice and slowness, it can be done without all that mechanical stuff....but to each is own...........I did not realize they have only been in business for about 2 yrs..........JMHO

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I bought one. You sew your binding to the back and then you use this foot to sew your binding to the front. It was a hassle for me to get use to at first but it really worked. I bought it with the zip bind system, which was a pain in the neck by the way. But if you used this foot and worked slowly and carefully, it worked perfectly. But I became impatient. Maybe I need to get that back out and try it again on my quilts I need to bind. I'm planning on machine binding them to the front anyway. So, to tell you, it really works. It takes some getting use to is all. And some patience!
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Blog Entries
    I'd have to try it out first, but just looking at it I have my doubts. I agree with Paper Princess. Years ago I took a class where we were all given Bernina loaners. One of the projects we made was a little purse, and we used the binding attachment. It worked beautifully - you feed the binding material into the slot and it folds the binding around the fabric and sews it on all at once. It took me a couple of weeks to stop being impressed enough to realize that there was no way to sew around corners.

Interesting item but have not tried it. Was wondering how it handled the metered corners. Doesn't look like it will handle that part. Will put on my future to check out list.
    Last edited by Rumbols; 11-08-2012 at 08:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
    I'd have to try it out first, but just looking at it I have my doubts. I agree with Paper Princess. Years ago I took a class where we were all given Bernina loaners. One of the projects we made was a little purse, and we used the binding attachment. It worked beautifully - you feed the binding material into the slot and it folds the binding around the fabric and sews it on all at once. It took me a couple of weeks to stop being impressed enough to realize that there was no way to sew around corners.
    I purchased the Bernina binder attachment not long ago to bind my quilts. I was wondering how to do the corners
    with it. I just slightly rounded the corners on the quilt I just finished and it worked beautifully. It was fine on that quilt, but some quilts need and look better with mitred corners.

I have it, bought it to do binding on baby bibs/burp cloths...it's sitting on the edge of my embroidery machine stand...Not very good on curves....and these are gentle curves.
    Buy a couple yards of fabric instead....that's my reccomendation

Quote Originally Posted by katier825 View Post
    Found this while surfing...anyone try it yet?

http://www.nancysnotions.com/product...inder+foot.do#
    Marge Campbell
    TL18LS/Qbot automated quilter
    http://www.Lmcampbel.com

Blog Entries
    Have it, tried it, don't care for it.

Blog Entries
    It's good to get the feedback. I have also used the glue method and stitched it down with decent results. The trick there is to be sure to have enough binding width to have enough overlap to catch the fabric in the stitching.

I have the entire zip bind system from Martelli and it is in a box in one of my sewing machine cabinets.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast