Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Interfacings/stabilizers for purses

Blog Entries

Interfacings/stabilizers for purses

Has anyone seen a guide that helps one decide which type of interfacing/stabilizer to choose for the desired effect when making a purse?

I have used patterns that called for fusible fleece, heavy interfacing, etc. One bag I have made didn't call for any, but I think I used a mid-weight fusible interfacing so it wouldn't be so floppy. I am making that bag again and wondered if I should try something else, maybe even some fusible fleece. Is there another product that is slightly thinner than the fleece, but soft like that? It's a small bag and I don't want to add too much bulk, nor do I want it stiff, but I think it might need a little more than just an interfacing.

I use Soft & Stabe in most of my bags. It is thin foam with a light fabric on each side. It gives gret shape to bags. I've used it in a small clutch made from Jersey knit. You can read about it here https://www.byannie.com/
    I Quilt Therefore I Am

Pat

I made some sling bags a few years ago and used a mid weight fusible on the outside fabric and then lined them with pieces of my husband's old jeans. It worked great. It made it stiffer but not too stiff.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pattypurple View Post
    I use Soft & Stabe in most of my bags. It is thin foam with a light fabric on each side. It gives gret shape to bags. I've used it in a small clutch made from Jersey knit. You can read about it here https://www.byannie.com/
    This looks interesting...not sure if it would be the best choice for the bag I have in mind, but definitely for other patterns I've seen. Thanks for the link!

If it's available here, I usually go with what the pattern recommends. I prefer a type of bag that has some 'form' to it and is not so 'floppy'. For fusible fleece, I much prefer Pellon 987F - so much so, I imported a bolt form the US. It's thinner and stiffer than the one at my LQS.
    For interfacing, I use Vilene heavyweight. I have used the Medium too, but found the lightweight virtually useless.
    There's an Interfacing/Fusible chart here and gives the US names too.
    Lang may yer lum reek.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Knitette View Post
    If it's available here, I usually go with what the pattern recommends. I prefer a type of bag that has some 'form' to it and is not so 'floppy'. For fusible fleece, I much prefer Pellon 987F - so much so, I imported a bolt form the US. It's thinner and stiffer than the one at my LQS.
    For interfacing, I use Vilene heavyweight. I have used the Medium too, but found the lightweight virtually useless.
    There's an Interfacing/Fusible chart here and gives the US names too.
    The particular pattern doesn't call for anything...except for support where the magnetic snap is located. I just know it will be too floppy with nothing.

Thanks for the chart!

Most of the bags I make are from drapery or upholstery fabric which has more body than regular quilting fabric and therefore don't usually need additional stability.

One that I made I used the fairly lightweight drapery fabric for both the lining and the outside. I really liked how that one worked out.

The only one I've done that I felt was extremely floppy was one that I did not add interfacing with just regular quilting fabric. If I did that again I would probably use either a mid weight interfacing or try out fusible interfacing which I haven't used on anything yet. P