Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Intermittent tension issue >

Intermittent tension issue

Intermittent tension issue

Old 01-19-2014, 02:51 PM

Default Intermittent tension issue

I've been wrestling with tension issues while quilting for the last couple of quilts, and haven't been able to solve it using the usual methods (changing needle tension, replacing needle, rethreading, using the same type of thread in needle and bobbin, etc). When I do a sample using the same fabric and batting as I'm using for my quilt and keep the setting at 8 or 9, everything is fine. When I work with the actual quilt, however, I get some stitches from the needle thread showing on the back. By "some," I mean that for an inch or two it will look fine, and then for the next inch or so I will get the needle color on the back. This has been consistent for two quilts where I've used different colors for needle and bobbin thread (but same brand and weight). I have a Husqvarna Viking Emerald 116 and am using a walking foot that is meant for my machine. My pressure foot is set to 2 and my stitch length is also set at 2 (I think it's about 12 stitches/inch).I've done tons of searching around the web but haven't found anything to explain the periodic showing of the needle thread on the back. Thank you!!
Old 01-19-2014, 04:03 PM
Power Poster

If you sample is the same as the quilt, I can't see why the tension issues are happening. The only difference is the size. Is the quilt all on the same level when quilting? Drag is the only thing I can think if.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:08 PM

I have also had tension problems on my sewing machine for several months. I could get it cleared up, but then it would come back. I tried all the same solutions you mentioned. I finally took out the bobbin case and cleaned it and found about a 2" length of thread that didn't show from the top. First of all, this was not mentioned in my sewing machine manual, The sewing instructor where I bought my machine showed me how it was done years ago. Now it purrs like a kitten and tension problems are nil. (knocking on the biggest piece of wood I can find!). And secondly, it took me forever to even attempt this because I have arthritis in my hands, poor eyesight, and these were tiny, tiny, tiny screws!
Old 01-19-2014, 04:53 PM
Power Poster

Are you getting actual eyelashes, or just dots of the top thread color? If it's just dots, I will say that it's very hard to get perfect tension, that's why most folks use the same color in the top and the bobbin.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:02 PM

If you are doing free motion quilting, and are getting "dots" of the top thread showing overtop the bottom thread on the back, it's entirely normal and is caused by moving the fabric around and not just stitching in a stationary straight line. This is even more prevalent when the machine itself is moved during machine quilting, and occurs both on the front (dots of bobbin thread ontop) and back of the quilt sandwich (dots of top thread on the back). Longarmers call them "pokies", and PaperPrincess, is correct---it's why it's best to use the same color thread ontop and in the bobbin. Our machines are made to sew in a stationary way. Freemotion and longarm quilting throws a monkey wrench into all that, with the needle flexing in all different directions. It plays havoc with the way the stitches are made, and we just have to accept pokies here and there.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:06 PM
Power Poster

One thought I have is that the weight of the quilt may be affecting tension intermittently. On a practice piece, you don't have the weight issue. With a real quilt, unless you have a really good setup where the entire quilt is supported all of the time you work, there is a tendency to sew too long before stopping to adjust the quilt. The result is that there will be more weight pulling on some areas of your stitching line than others.

The other idea, assuming you have a bobbin case, is to remove the bobbin case and run a toothpick underneath the spring on the outside of the bobbin case. This is a common area for a small amount of lint to accumulate, and that tiny bit of lint can affect the bobbin thread tension intermittently.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:13 PM

Thanks for the suggestions! I didn't think about the weight or drag- that makes a lot of sense. I'm using a walking foot, so some of the free motion foot issues that were mentioned don't apply to this situation. I tried to adjust the weight better and it seems to help. This might be a really good lesson in not using two different colors, though
Old 01-20-2014, 07:55 AM
Power Poster

Using different colors of thread in the bobbin can cause top thread to show oo the top or bottom and vice versa. I try to use the same color top and bottom when FMQ. Keep the bobbin area cleaned is important too.

Welcome to this wonderful board. Lots of help here.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:15 AM
Power Poster

Drag... I hadn't thought of that. I have intermittent tension issues too, and it drives me NUTS!! Now I will consider 'drag' in the equation when problems arise. I've learned a lot reading this thread! Thank you.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy View Post
If you are doing free motion quilting, and are getting "dots" of the top thread showing overtop the bottom thread on the back, it's entirely normal and is caused by moving the fabric around and not just stitching in a stationary straight line. This is even more prevalent when the machine itself is moved during machine quilting, and occurs both on the front (dots of bobbin thread ontop) and back of the quilt sandwich (dots of top thread on the back). Longarmers call them "pokies", and PaperPrincess, is correct---it's why it's best to use the same color thread ontop and in the bobbin. Our machines are made to sew in a stationary way. Freemotion and longarm quilting throws a monkey wrench into all that, with the needle flexing in all different directions. It plays havoc with the way the stitches are made, and we just have to accept pokies here and there.
Wow, I'm glad to know this happens to others also. I thought it was just me. And I will pay closer attention to how long I quilt an area before re-adjusting with FMQ. Great thread!