Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Introduction & a question!

Power Poster
    Hi from Ohio!
    SueDor

Hi from Minneapolis! I'm assuming that your batting is not a high loft and that the sandwich is either closely basted by hand or spray-basted. If that's the case then I think you'll be just fine - I do FMQ on a regular machine and haven't had any problems with the backing being only a couple of inches larger than the top.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

I agree you'll be fine. I have found too much waste when you keep 4in all around. I hand quilt, machine and quilt on a long arm and never had a quilt not match up leaving less then 4 in. Can't wait to see it!!!
    *Rachel*

I guess I should have posted more information! The quilt top is 64 x 82. The bottom is about 1.5" larger all the way around. I did buy low-loft batting. I will be adding a cream binding. I will be quilting on my Janome Sew Precise. Someday, I'm gonna get a machine with a larger throat space! I can only do straight lines.....I will probably just do a crosshatch.

My biggest concern was that the top is all 9-patch squares with ALOT of seams! Also, because I didn't think about the quilting when I was sewing the top, I doubled the cream fabric. I didn't like how the burgandy showed through so much ~ so needless to say it is HEAVY!

So - now that you know how goofy I am, can I get by with the bottom or do I need to add some more to it?

P.S. I bet you can tell where I'm from, huh????
    Attached Images Attached Images Click to view large image  Click to view large image 

Blog Entries
    I agree that you should be fine. I've had that problem before and it worked out very well. Welcome, glad you could join us!
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Howdy and welcome, from Texas! If you baste very carefully, you should be able to make it work. If it were me, I'd use Warm & White batting and Elmer's School Glue, to baste. That stuff if wonderful, at keep everything in its place!
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2