Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Iron On Applique Quandary.... >

Iron On Applique Quandary....

Iron On Applique Quandary....

Old 03-24-2017, 08:16 AM

Welcome Elaine!
I grew up in Bonners Ferry Idaho, so Spokane was the place to go to shop!
Wunderunder is nice and does not seem to get that stiff feeling. I just made over 30 placemats and the backing has wunderunder in between the fabric and muslin lining. I ran out and before I could get more I substituted steam a seam. There is a definite difference in the two. Also Wunderunder can be bought by the yard which I found helpful.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:23 AM
Power Poster

First welcome to the board from Corpus Christi. slbram17's suggestion is what I would do then you know the results.
Originally Posted by slbram17 View Post
Would it not be a good idea to test this yourself and create a sample to show customers?
Old 03-24-2017, 04:03 PM

Welcome from someone who once lived in Northport, WA, but now lives in Oregon.
Old 03-24-2017, 06:01 PM

I do not applique that is stiff. At a quilt show a few years ago, I found a product called 007 Bonding Agent. It leaves your applique soft. I always sew my applique down because I want it to stay, however, it seems like the sales gal said you did not have to sew it down, but I could be wrong. You can look on-line and see it advertised there also.
Old 03-25-2017, 05:34 AM

Welcome from Florida, but my heart is still in the Seattle area where we lived for 18.5 years. As for your question, you have some outstanding quilt shops in your area...if you are comfortable asking, seek their advice. But if they are competition, then I agree with Jane Quilter. Basically, buy several products and make samples, wash, display...all good ideas. Personally, I have used Heat n Bond and Wonder Under, but I always sew the edges on my applique. Wishing you good luck in your endeavours.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter View Post
With all these options, and preferences, you are going to be spending too much time explaining options to customers which could be interpreted as arguing or being a know it all, both negative to obtaining customer sales. May I suggest you make up a sales book of options or a design board of options where for example you would make up 50 owls. The 1st column would show:
a) Owls arrive in 8 pieces with H & B Ultra
b) Customer Assembles Owl by (sewing/gluing)
c) Customer Attaches to Item (t-shirt/ quilt square)
d) After 10 launderings it looks and feels like this:

The 2nd column would show H&B lite, the 3rd column would show wonderunder etc.

That way, the customer would understand all her options, what she is getting, what to do with it, and what it will look like right away and after 10 washings. She could touch them and make up her own mind without you explaining, "selling" or "pushing" while she is thinking "well that is not my experience". This does not answer your question exactly, but it does. And it says, this is your cottage industry, you are the expert, you know the answers because you have tried all the options on all the products out there. This is what you recommend, but if your customer is nervous about the outcome of your recommendation, here is what it will turn out to be, and if you don't like that, here are the other options that are possible, but maybe not optional. Let me know how you want your order placed, Boom! Ca Ching!
Hi Jane Quilter! This is what I have at the into to my Etsy shop. Is this what you're talking about? >>>"PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING HELPFUL INFORMATION AND CHOOSE YOUR ADHESIVE BACKING BY USING THE DROP DOWN MENU AT THE TOP OF THE LISTING!
All my appliques are backed with Therm O Web Heat n Bond. This is a heat-activated adhesive. Simply pull the paper backing off the applique, arrange, and press to anchor the applique to your project. The manufacturer sells Heat n Bond in 2 different strengths—Heat n Bond Lite and Heat n Bond Ultra Hold. I can now make your appliques with either one of these products, and you can choose which you would prefer according to your project!

(Because of all the small, detailed parts my multi-layer appliques will automatically be backed with Heat n Bond Ultra. THERE MAY OR MAY NOT BE A PAPER BACKING.)

Heat n Bond LITE is a paper-backed, lightweight film adhesive used for appliques that will be sewn down. The adhesive will not gum up the needle in the sewing process. When this adhesive is used, the applique must be sewn down by machine or hand to avoid lifting in the washer/dryer. (Unless customer-specified, my single layer appliques are backed with LITE.)

Heat n Bond ULTRA HOLD is a paper-backed, slightly heavier film adhesive used for appliques that will not be sewn down. If this adhesive is used, it cannot be sewn through as it will gum up the needle in the sewing process. However, once the applique is ironed down with Heat n Bond Ultra as the adhesive, the applique will NOT lift or peel through multiple COOL washings/dryings, and the appliques stay soft.

If your project will not be washed or dried and the appliques are applied to an ironable surface such as a hat, backpack, or tote bag, you may wish to have the appliques made with Heat n Bond ULTRA because the appliques will not be sewn down.

If your project will receive lots of wear and washings/dryings such as baby clothes, quilts or other garments, you may wish to consider having the appliques made with Heat n Bond LITE, which requires that you sew the applique down.

Please choose your adhesive backing and use the drop down menu to let me know which adhesive backing adhesive you would like for your appliques when you order. All my appliques will now come with an instruction sheet. Thanks!"
Old 03-25-2017, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by M.Elizabeth View Post
I have no advice for your quandary, but I can welcome you from the other side of the country, the beautiful mountains of western NC.
Thanks so much for the welcome. I've been on the west coast of the US most of my life now, but I'm originally from NE PA. I miss it so much!
Old 03-25-2017, 08:42 AM

Hi minibarn! I WOULD go to WonderUnder, but one, it's quite a bit more expensive than the HnB, and I've worked with it before. The backing comes away from the webbing so easily. I have to put my adhesive backed fabric through a cutting machine, and I'm afraid the machine would dislodge the backing and I'd have a mess. Besides, I think the WU needs to be sewn down too.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:43 AM

Thanks JMoore! I think I will too!
Old 03-25-2017, 08:46 AM

That's a good idea, slbram17! I have an Etsy shop where I've tried to solve this dilemma for my customers. The shop has an intro explaining the difference with the two adhesives. But Etsy also allows you to add pictures, and I think videos of yourself in the making process. I think I might look into that as a solution. Thanks for the spark of an idea!