Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: A quilt shop quandary...what would you do?

A quilt shop quandary...what would you do?

Attached is a pic of a section of a fat quarter that I bought at a quilt shop (not immediately local). As you can see, there are several defects in it: (1) that darker streak down the left side of it, and (2) even worse there are vertical whitish streaks over the entire left side of the fabric and part of the right. The only usable section is about an 8" swath through the FQ. When I unfolded it, the section showing on the outside of the FQ was the good usable section. So here's the quandary - should I tell the shop owner where I bought it? I feel 100% sure the shop owner did NOT do this, I feel is was probably one of her girls in the shop who didn't care or was simply working too quickly to pay attention. And then I also wondered if LQS's buy pre-cut FQs from distributors? I believe this is a Jo Morton line, so is major name-brand.

I don't care about the money spent for it, small amount, but if a shop does this regularly then they'll lose customers, and I really, really, REALLY like this shop and don't want to see them go under due to stuff like this.

What would you do?

Attached Images Attached Images

"If you want a golden rule that will fit everything, this is it: Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful." -- William Morris, 1834-1896

http://arkansasmanquilter.blogspot.com/

Banned
    of course, tell the shop about it and show it to them. If flawed then should be replaced.

Blog Entries
    I would bring it to their attention, in a nice way. If I was the owner, I would want to know about things like this so I can make sure that the staff understand that it isn't acceptable. If poor storage in the store caused it, you would look at ways to fix it, or if it came from the manufacturer like this, then the store owner would want to take it up with them.
    Good to see you Eddie, I've missed seeing your beautiful work.
    The biggest risk is the one not taken

Quote Originally Posted by Holice View Post
    of course, tell the shop about it and show it to them. If flawed then should be replaced.
    Totally Agree with this!

Blog Entries
    Absolutely take it back and show it to them...a good shop owner will make it right....
    His love is deeper still, Margo in Maine

Definitely tell them. I am sure the owner will want to know, Better to make it right than having bad comments spread around

Doesn't matter in my book if it cost 20 cents or $20.00, if the fabric is flawed, it is worth nothing. Take if back and show and tell.
    Yooper32 aka: Donna B

Blog Entries
    The beginnings and ends of the bolts sometimes look like this. I'd just take it in show the owner and ask if she'll replace it. If she won't then you can question her motives.
    Janome D1822/Janome 4618LE/1946 Singer 15-91 in original cabinet
    Bailey 17 Pro/Grace Original GMQ Frame with No-Flex carriage upgrade

I would tell them. Seems like the right thing to do so they will not lose business. Word of mouth can make you or break you.

Eddie, if the shop is not immediately local, would you consider sending the photos via email to get their reaction and take it from there? Perhaps scan a copy of the receipt, also. I think they would want to know.

Quote Originally Posted by mighty View Post
    I would tell them. Seems like the right thing to do so they will not lose business. Word of mouth can make you or break you.
    I agree, they will want to know.
    http://www.skillpages.com/DonnaValleyquiltermo
    Sweet Dreams come from under Cozy Quilts made with love.
    Life is short, take time to enjoy it. Play with your kids and g-kids,
    and do what you can for others.

I think the shop owner would like to know.

Blog Entries
    I agree with all the above. No one wants to sell that kind of stuff. Barny

I would tell them. It looks like a bad dye job during the printing process.

Put yourself in the shop owners shoes. I know you would want a customer to know if something was not right and I am sure that they would want to know also. Like someone said, word of mouth can make or break you. Good luck and let us know what happens, please.
    Alma
    Nami to 6

Blog Entries
    Agree 100%

Blog Entries
    Since you already scanned it and posted here, you can email with a similar message to the shop. A decent business owner will want to know. If she does not want to know, then I would not give her any more of my money.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

If I had sold that FQ, I would really expect to be told that it didn't meet expectations. I had a similar situation with an on-line fabric company, didn't have to send the fabric back and they made the purchase good...and THANKED me for calling their attention to it! Good luck in your (ad)venture!
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

I agree. Of course tell them!!Wouldn't you want to know if it was your shop.

Blog Entries
    If it were my shop, I would most definitely want to know. And I would also either replace it for you or issue a refund. As someone said, I'd call them and offer to send the photos to them on email, since it is not very close to you.
    Kerry
    ~ American by birth, Southern by the grace of God ~

QKO
    I agree with everyone else -- if I sold that I'd want to know about it -- and I'd want to refund or replace.

On your other question; generally, but not always, if you're buying single FQ's or small bundles, they're cut in-store. Most of the manufacturer FQ bundles are quite large. But some stores buy large towers and repackage them for sale as well. So it's difficult to tell where it was cut.

Blog Entries
    what you just said was wonderfully put and if I were a shop owner I'd want to know if an oversight was made. It's all about good customer relations. What would I do? I won't spend the gas money to drive back and show it to them but you could email with your photos attached and just let them know you wanted to make sure this didn't happen to another quilter who might not be as understanding as you.
    Quilted Blessings

If you can't notice it on a galloping horse at 60 feet, it's just fine.

Power Poster
    Your post shows that one can even get "not-so-good stuff" from LQS.

Do as others have suggested - send scans or photos along with a copy of the receipt -

The store owner/manager may not be aware of the problem - he/she can't fix it if he/she isn't told about it. If the shop purchased a stack of FQs, who would think to unfold every one to check them out?

It would be reasonable to me for the LQS offer to refund the money or replace the piece. The shop might want it returned - if so, I would ask to have the postage cost reimbursed, also.

Blog Entries
    I would let the owner know, they may not be aware that their employee(s) are putting items like this out for sale. It would be a shame for them to lose business and not know why.
    “The simplest toy, one which even the youngest child can operate, is called a grandparent.” Sam Levenson

Yes, I think the shop should know. I was in our LQS the other day and watched as the salesperson cut fabric for a customer. There was a flaw in the fabric and the salesperson noticed it. She then offered options for the customer. I thought that was the right way to service the customer. The customer was satisfied and a sale was made.
    Live, Laugh, Love & Quilt!
    Weasie

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast