Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which Iron-On double sided sheets would you use? >

Which Iron-On double sided sheets would you use?

Which Iron-On double sided sheets would you use?

Old 11-16-2015, 10:06 AM

Default Which Iron-On double sided sheets would you use?

Hello, searched thru the topics here and went out to the sites suggested to read up on the double sides adhesive sheets available and I'm still stumped. Here's the problem, I'm helping a gal make a long poncho out of sweatshirt fabric I had laying around. She then decided (maybe we both decided this) to make it reversible so added another velour type sweatshirt fabric. Now I'm thinking I need to do something to the 2 layers to keep it from shifting all the time so thought "I'd quilt it". I know I should have not cut at least one of the fabrics 1st before quilting so I'm thinking of using some sort of double sided adhesive sheeting to keep them from shifting while quilting whether on my domestic machine or my quilt machine. I've read up on Wonder-Under and Steam-a-Seam II but nether one states whether they will gum up my machine needle plus I don't even know if I can iron on sweatshirt fabrics. Can you? Which sheeting should I go for as I'll have to order a large quantity to cover this pattern? Right now I've pushed the project over to the side as I'm at a loss. Obviously I didn't think this project thru before I dove in.

Suggestions appreciated.
Old 11-16-2015, 10:15 AM

There is a product by Floriani and Alex Anderson called Fabric Prep. It is ultra light weight interlining that will permanently fuse to the fabric back.

I might also try just a fusible lightweight pellon. Used in sewing.

Last edited by imsewnso; 11-16-2015 at 10:21 AM.
Old 11-16-2015, 11:30 AM
Power Poster

I don't think there is anything double-sided that would fuse such thick materials together (unless they can both take a lot of heat and pressure; you could test on some scraps to find out). What I would suggest is pressing a lightweight interfacing, as imsewnso suggests, on the wrong side of each fabric first. Then spray baste or glue baste the two pieces together. I would cut the interfacing to the correct pattern size before applying.

If you go to Walmart or JoAnn's, look for interfacing that says "lightweight" or "featherweight" or "sheerweight" and fusible. Pellon has several of these. Here is a link to one on Amazon, but there are others too:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

At Walmart and JoAnn's, you can get just the yardage you need cut off the bolt.
Old 11-16-2015, 12:00 PM
Power Poster

This is more of a garment construction issue vs. a quilting issue. Garments, even ponchos, are meant to drape on the body. You have to be careful about the interfacing you use. If you use a non woven, even a featherweight, you will loose the draping quality of your knits. There is fusible tricot knit that would maintain the knit qualities, but it's not double sided. Even if you could find a double knit, the interfacing would pull away from the fuzzy side of the sweatshirt fabric due to wear. Personally, I would just quilt the 2 pieces together after pinning the heck out of them. It's a poncho, not a fitted garment, so if one layer shifts a bit during quilting, just recut the all edges to match.
Old 11-16-2015, 12:23 PM
Power Poster

If you are going to quilt it, why not use 505 basting spray?
Old 11-16-2015, 01:01 PM

Neither of those products would work to hold together a sweatshirt & velour. I'm allergic to basting spray so I'd go with safety pins or washable glue if I was going to quilt it.

I'm not sure why it would be a problem is the layers shift around a bit. That's typically how ponchos are constructed. If you really want that -- though I'm not sure I'd personally like how heavy & clingy it would be -- you could always use Fabric Fusion. It's a glue-like adhesive that's sold in most craft stores (Hobby Lobby, Joann...). I've used it on fabric & it holds well even through multiple washings (warm water/medium heat). Just make sure that's really the route you want to go because once it's fused, it's not coming apart. It's typically used in small amounts by people who want a no-sew option for hemming or fixing a seam, but I've used it with very young children to create faux-quilts without any stitching & so I know it will hold larger pieces.
Old 11-16-2015, 07:58 PM

Prism99, we don't have a JoAnne's here in this small town and the closest one is 65 miles away. Our WalMart is just now starting to offer fabric so I'll look there. The gal just may have to accept the poncho one sided and be happy about it and without quilting or use another fabric which I hate to waste more if it doesn't work out to her liking.
Old 11-17-2015, 02:31 AM

Suz, I could pick it up for you here in Des Moines and send it to you if you want me to.

Deana