Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Iron, need new one >

Iron, need new one

Iron, need new one

Old 11-10-2013, 09:57 AM

Default Iron, need new one

I need a new iron, I've had numerous ones and they all either leak, spite, or just plain quit working. Thinking of buying one of those expensive ones as seen on many of the quilt shows. Any advice?????
Old 11-10-2013, 10:13 AM

Check ebay or garage sales for an old smooth plate one with a good cord. Use a spritzer bottle when you need steam.
Today's irons regardless of price seem to be destined for a 1-2 year life cycle once we use water in them. I think the auto shutdown process isn't that good for longevity either.

I read some years ago turning on an iron takes the same btu's are running a dryer. It would be nice to come up with some verifiable statistics.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:04 AM

I have had the Rowenta irons. They are bad to leek after a while. I got a Black & Decker from Walmart. For the price I am quite happy with it and when it goes out, replacement is not so hard on the pocket.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:06 AM
Power Poster

We have had many discussions about irons. Try using the search function. I have the Black and Decker Digital advantage and like it.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:20 AM

Love my Reliable. Pricey but worth it.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:25 AM

I went to buy a Rowenta and I found a Hamilton Beach Durathon, look similar to the Rowenta and felt heavy duty and solid. I bought the Hamilton Beach one and I love it. I was taught at a young age not to put water in an iron by my grandmother so I have never used water in the iron. I do know that when I was the last quilting class I was in she had a Rowenta the iron was so similar to my Hamilton Beach, however, she had water in it and no spray bottle on the side so I misted from the iron and I got iron stains on my quilt while I was pressing. I later had to take out the two squares and replace them as the iron stained it orange. I know she used tap water in hers and the water where we live is very irony. Most irons say to use distilled water. I use a small spray bottle on the ironing board and gently mist anything that I need to but I don't use water in my irons. I know the Rowenta was great also, other than the tap water experience for me was bad!
Old 11-10-2013, 11:31 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I think everyone has their favorite iron. It seems like lots of people like the cheap B&D from Walmart right now. I think a heavy iron is nice even though mine is lightweight. I have 6 irons. I go back and forth between them. I have the one that doesn't do steam and like it very much, but I do like steam, so I don't use it too often. I have a couple I bought at a second hand store for appliquing. I have one that has a tank that holds water and has a hose that goes to the iron. It is my favorite. It is very lightweight, though. It's nice that it's not heavy. I have an Oliso that I like and a Reliable that the buttons are on the handle and I hit them every time I use the iron, so I turn the iron off all the time, so I don't use that one very often, even though the steam is awesome!
Old 11-10-2013, 11:33 AM

I am glad you posted this question... as I was thinking the same thing this morning. I have a Sunbeam and I am reasonably happy with it. I don't use water in mine either.. I just spray as DeMaris said. I am only wondering about a good iron as I have had mine for close to 10 years and I sometimes feel like its not as hot as it used to be
Old 11-10-2013, 11:48 AM
Power Poster

I buy the cheapest one that wally world sells that has steam. with a kitty, I have them fall off the board quite easily, this way, I get a new one every 5 yrs or so for about $12.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:56 AM

I have a Sunbeam that I love! I got it at Joann, and it was under $50. It's on the larger size and has a nice point on it.