Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Iron and Steam are your friends!

Gotta look for one of those. I don't use steam when quilting, I only use it pressing fabrics before cutting if I'm not using starch.

Super Member QuiltswithConvicts's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by klgreene
    Just got a Shark at Wal-Mart. It does the job.
    I have 2 Sharks at the prison for the program & we all love them. I have a so-so Sunbeam at home. Am thinking about the Shark for home, too.

I looked my iron up. It is called the Rowenta First Class Travel Iron. The steam holes are really small which was a radical change from my older iron. (See pictures)

I turn the steam off when paper piecing. I'm still learning about the different fusible webs so I follow manufacturer directions.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Blog Entries
    My iron just bit the dust - the thermostat went into overdrive (it melted cotton). Now I am using the Shark and the automatic off feature is not making me happy. I'll have to go read the other thread too. My old one was a Rowenta.

Melted cotton, Martina? WOW! You are fortunate it didn't start a fire in your home. Roy used to be annoyed with me leaving the iron plugged in and on all day while I was sewing but he gave up nagging when I pointed to all his electrical taped gadgets.

I'm going to look at a smaller iron, burned my arm last month when I had it near the sewing machine while putting blocks together. :roll:

Blog Entries
    I have a Rowenta that I bought at my local True Value Store. I would never use anything else again!

Me too and I love it !! Heard this weekend that they are making all manuf. put auto shut offs on all irons. Will be at WM today to see what they have left of the ones that stay on.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amma
    I have a $12 iron from Walmart, plenty of steam and it gets very hot.
    It also does NOT have the auto shut off :D:D:D
    What is the brand name

Blog Entries
    I have 5 vintage irons with the smooth sole plate and no steam holes. I got them originally to iron linen tablecloths. The newer steam irons just didn't get hot enough. Now I use them for everything. When I need steam I just use a small spray bottle before pressing. These babies are heavy and I use them as weights when I want seams to be really flat.

I get the $6.oo steam iron from Walmart use it until it dies & go get another. Lots of steam & heat from these little irons.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast