Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Iron and Steam are your friends!

Blog Entries
    I just got a new iron bout a month ago. It was a T-fal. Works beautifully and is very hot. The one I got was approx. $40.00 at BJs wholesale club.

I just bought a Black & Decker at Walmart. It has spray AND steam .... and the buttons for those drives me whacky. I use my thumb to steam, and the buttons are left-spray and right-steam. I use steam more than spray (who doesn't?) .. so I'm constantly fumbling to find the steam button. It also doesn't seem to be hot enough, and you have to "coax" it to heat back up after it auto shuts-off. It was under $20, and I don't like it! This was the THIRD iron I bought and returned. Am I too fussy? I think not!

Seems that everyone likes the Shark. I'll have to read the other thread too.

Quote Originally Posted by thegypsy1968
    I am a beginner quilter and I have been using a steam iron that my DH bought for me when I started...OMG I just want to throw it out the window. It is never hot enough and doesn't do the job right! So what kind should I buy and does anyone have a suggestion? thank you and Happy Quilting!
    Iam on my second T Fal, only because son dropped the first one and messed it up. The sole plate is fabulous and if something should stick, it will wipe right off when cool!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maride
    I am on a different boat here. I hate steam, and I hate when the corners of my small pieces get stuck in the holes at the bottom of the iron. So, a couple of years ago, I got me a smaller iron from Home Depot (on-line only). It is dry and has no holes at the plate. I love it, but I only use it for quilting. It gets real hot and it doesn't have auto shut off. Love it.
    I have a small B&D travel iron with a flat stainless steel bottom and a water container in the handle. I use it for all my piecing and applique as it gets very hot and doesn't shut off. ALSO, I have several spray water bottles with plain water, light, medium, heavy and BRICK starch (homemade) in them to keep near my sewing station. Depending on what I'm working on, I just grab the appropriate water bottle and spray! I got so tired of having to refill my Rowenta constantly to have adequate steam for pressing, so the above was my solution. Also, when I bring new fabric in after it's washed and semi-dryed, I do use a larger iron (Sunbeam) to slightly press out the wrinkles before folding and storing. I struggled thru 4 irons before I came up with this workable solution for me, so don't give up. You'll find a perfect one for you also.

Josi in FL

I have "The Classic" by Black & Decker, and I love it! Best $30.00 I spent!

I have a wal-mart iron. I bought it for $10.00 and it works like a charm. I have dropped that iron more times then I care to admitt and it still works great. It is a sunbeam.

my best iron is from Wal mart i think it cost me 12.00

I have a 4( steam/dry iron from Walgreens. Had a more expensive one, but too heavy - gave it away.

After having difficulty for years trying to find an iron I could really use for quilting, I was at WalMart in early August when they had back-to-school items on sale and I found a steam iron for $6.00. It's been one of the best purchases I've ever made. It heats up very quickly & because of the cheap price I don't worry about getting anything on it. no teflon but it cleans very easily. I do think they now sell for $12.00 but still a bargain.

My Shark just bit the dust so I am using my Rowenta. I really liked the Shark better. It does have the auto cut off, but I don't mind, For me it is safer and it heats up pretty fast.

The Beautiful Willamette Valley In Oregon
    This doesn't apply to buying an iron, but we had the scare of our lives, and luckily, we were home. At the time we had teenagers. One of them had left the iron plugged into the wall socket. There was nothing else plugged into this wall socket except the iron. The iron was OFF and cold, but the fire started in the wall within the wall socket! The utility room was in the daylight basement in this particular home. we smelled smoke and went down to check. Because we caught it in time, the Fire Dept. quickly put it out with minor damage. From this experience, I never leave an iron plugged in, unless I am nearby and using it. Even if the iron is off, as in our case, apparently it can still be a fire hazard.

Ilove my Rowwenta,It's the best iron Iv'e ever had.

Quote Originally Posted by josi49
    Quote Originally Posted by Maride
    I am on a different boat here. I hate steam, and I hate when the corners of my small pieces get stuck in the holes at the bottom of the iron. So, a couple of years ago, I got me a smaller iron from Home Depot (on-line only). It is dry and has no holes at the plate. I love it, but I only use it for quilting. It gets real hot and it doesn't have auto shut off. Love it.
    I have a small B&D travel iron with a flat stainless steel bottom and a water container in the handle. I use it for all my piecing and applique as it gets very hot and doesn't shut off. ALSO, I have several spray water bottles with plain water, light, medium, heavy and BRICK starch (homemade) in them to keep near my sewing station. Depending on what I'm working on, I just grab the appropriate water bottle and spray! I got so tired of having to refill my Rowenta constantly to have adequate steam for pressing, so the above was my solution. Also, when I bring new fabric in after it's washed and semi-dryed, I do use a larger iron (Sunbeam) to slightly press out the wrinkles before folding and storing. I struggled thru 4 irons before I came up with this workable solution for me, so don't give up. You'll find a perfect one for you also.

Josi in FL
    I also have the Black and Decker Travel Iron. I just love it for piecing. I have 2 other irons, and took this one out of the RV after watching a learning video and the teacher had one just like mine! So light weight, but gets really hot quickly. I don't use steam, but it will steam if I wanted it to.

I have a question too about an iron. I have a Rowent and I'm not thrilled. For what I paid for it (Joanne's of course won't allow a coupon). Any way, my question is. I keep getting fusible stuck to the bottom of it and it smells bad and I'm concerned it will come off on my fabric. HOW DO I CLEAN THE BOTTOM OF THE IRON. I did purchase some stuff @ Joanne's I think that cleans the bottom of the iron but I will have to buy stock in the company at the rate I'm using it. I finally started using a teflon sheet when fusing. Any ideas or suggestions? I love this site and all the tips so I know someone will be able to help me.

Quote Originally Posted by auntiehenno
    I have a 4( steam/dry iron from Walgreens. Had a more expensive one, but too heavy - gave it away.
    I am just the opposite I like a heavy iron if it's to light I tend to push harder. I just killed my subeam and bought a roenta haven't used it yet

Try running your hot iron over a piece of wax paper. it's a trick my mother used years ago and I still use it and it works for me.

Thanks for the tip....I'll try it!!

i have a shark,but when i use the steam water runs out every where ,help,any sugestions. betty.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nancy11442
    I have a question too about an iron. I have a Rowent and I'm not thrilled. For what I paid for it (Joanne's of course won't allow a coupon). Any way, my question is. I keep getting fusible stuck to the bottom of it and it smells bad and I'm concerned it will come off on my fabric. HOW DO I CLEAN THE BOTTOM OF THE IRON. I did purchase some stuff @ Joanne's I think that cleans the bottom of the iron but I will have to buy stock in the company at the rate I'm using it. I finally started using a teflon sheet when fusing. Any ideas or suggestions? I love this site and all the tips so I know someone will be able to help me.
    One other option to keep fusibles off your iron's sole plate - cut two pieces of parchment paper(available at groceery store) and place fusibles between the parchment papers before pressing. This will keep fusibles off the iron and the ironing board cover. Not sure what it is you don't like about the Rowenta - but hopefully my suggestion will help with your fusible issues.

Will try yoursuggestion, thanks

My iron has the auto shut off. I fixed a power strip so it was within easy reach and plug the iron into it. When the iron shuts off, I just have to flip the switch on the power strip and it is ready to go again. Mine is a Sunbeam--was not very expensive and probably came from Walmart's.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2