Iron

Old 04-17-2010, 11:42 AM

So what is a good iron to get? Does anyone else have the problem of overhead lights dimming whenever the iron is one? Lights constantly dimming and brightening then whenever the iron is on....is it the iron? Every house I have ever had does the same thing.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:44 AM

That is caused because the typical circuit is around 1,500 watts. One iron can be that much alone when it is heating. So, whatever else is on the same circuit, say your lights, then expect to see "brown outs" when the power is pulling more than the circuit was designed for. Try to find out if you've got a different circuit in the same room. I was lucky, DH brought in two additional circuits to my sewing room, and one serves only the iron.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:54 AM
Power Poster

That's not safe to have brown outs. You may have to iron in another room. As far as irons go. If you want the best on the market for quilters it's the Reliable brand iron. http://www.longarmquilterspro.com/re...team-iron.html I quit buying expensive irons and get a cheap one and use it until it blows a gasket.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:02 PM

Irons are like husbands---you have to find the one that suits you. Some people like teflon coating, others don't. Some like a heavy iron, I don't. At my house, cheap, light, with teflon coating and steam.
One of the LQS's that I take classes at has those really expensive irons with the feet that pop out and raise it up. Unfortunately sometimes those feet stick---out when you're trying to press, in when you stop. For the price difference I prefer the cheap with that little mat that you can get at Hancocks to set the iron on flat. The reason to keep it flat is so that the steam is always ready--if you like to press with steam.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:05 PM

I buy the cheapest iron. When it blows, you're not out lots of money. Plus, even though it might not be the heaviest iron, it still does the same things that the more expensive ones do.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:14 PM
Power Poster

I too have gone to the Walmart $14 iron... I found one that has a good teflon sole plate, does NOT automatically shut off, and after a year it still works like new :D:D:D I would rather spend this much every couple of years, than over $100 every 2-3 :wink:
Old 04-17-2010, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
That's not safe to have brown outs. You may have to iron in another room. As far as irons go. If you want the best on the market for quilters it's the Reliable brand iron. http://www.longarmquilterspro.com/re...team-iron.html I quit buying expensive irons and get a cheap one and use it until it blows a gasket.
You can get two models of the Reliable iron at http://www.allbrands.com/products/abc0675.html

I also really like the Black and Decker Digital Advantage iron. My guild bought one and it's everybody's favorite.
Old 04-17-2010, 02:04 PM
Pam

I get mine from Goodwill. I buy the old irons with no teflon coating and no steam holes. I just like them, will buy more if I get the chance, but they must work. If you do get the older irons, BEWARE they get way hotter than the new ones and will scorch anything. What I put up with for "cute".
Old 04-17-2010, 02:17 PM

I also used the iron with the pop-out feet at my local quilt shop during a volunteer program in January and I didn't like it. When I stopped to adjust the fabric, those goofy feet popped out. I found it aggravating. I recently bought a cordless iron with a steel soleplate. I like it. My last one was teflon and it started to peel off. Back to the old steel soleplate. It glides nicely. I like my small Rowenta with steel soleplate for small jobs, as well. I'm one of those people that looks up reviews on line before making a purchase, so I would suggest that you do that if you are planning on spending more than $20. Good luck.
Old 04-17-2010, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by EllaBud
I buy the cheapest iron. When it blows, you're not out lots of money. Plus, even though it might not be the heaviest iron, it still does the same things that the more expensive ones do.
exactly..i have a walgreens Iron..i think it is called "signature"