Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Iron without auto shutoff? >

Iron without auto shutoff?

Iron without auto shutoff?

Old 11-22-2014, 01:45 PM

Some of the cheap irons do, indeed, have auto shut off. To me, the auto-shut off is a super safety feature that no iron should be without. But we all have our preferences and reasons for them.
Old 11-22-2014, 02:41 PM
Power Poster

Sorry, I have left my iron on more than once and I am delighted with the auto shut off on my Rowenta.
Old 11-22-2014, 08:45 PM

I can''t imagine having an iron without the automatic shut off. I have heard too many horror stories of homes burning down from an iron that was left on. I just can't trust myself to remember to turn it off or unplug it every time. Good luck with your search.
Old 11-22-2014, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
I use to have one but they are hard to find now. I have a Black and Decker one now and it tends to start beeping at me that it's shutting down and i'm ironing!!! moving the iron yet and it says I'm not. STupid iron. I lift the iron point up toward the ceiling and that makes it happy. Hope you find one smarter than I did.
nativetexan, my Black & Decker does the same thing. What is happening is the iron beeps because it has been in the horizontal position (ironing position) for to long. It's another one of their "safety" features. As you found out all you have to do is make it vertical.
Old 11-23-2014, 05:46 AM

My Euro does not have an auto shutoff. That is one of the many reasons I love it. Someone else said you must use distilled water. My instructions say that I can use filtered water too. I just use the water that comes out of my refrigerator dispenser.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:28 AM

I bought a travel iron at Goodwill that does not automatically shut off. It is perfect to sit next to my sewing machine and use on either my round-about or small ironing board. I have it on an extension cord plugged into the same outlet with my lights and sewing machine, so when I quit sewing, I flip the switch and everything goes off at once. That way I don't have to remember to shut it off. GW is a great source for irons. This little travel iron was an older one, but it was brand new in the box. I also bought a brand new (I think Panasonic) iron that can be used corded or cordless at GW but it has the auto shut off so, like kristijoy, I use it to iron big pieces of fabric or clothing.
Old 11-23-2014, 01:13 PM

I don't use steam but in regard to auto off or stay on irons, I have one that stays on and would not like an auto turn off. My iron is plugged in a power strip, which currently has a bright light also plugged to power strip so if I leave the room I know to turn off power strip. In the past have used a night light or a portable radio to help me remember to turn off power strip, which turns off iron. Was anyone else taught to not use steam when piecing because moisture left on fabric causes stretch of fabric. If I need moisture to press flat I use a mister of water or magic sizing which I can press dry before stitching Best wishes in all your quilting and I am amazed by your many accomplishments and talents
Old 11-23-2014, 05:00 PM

I hate auto shut off. I get an inexpensive iron from Walmart for $10 to $20. Right now I have a Proctor Silex which is a gem. They last several years and I replace them. I have a shutdown procedure so I have never left one on yet.
Old 11-23-2014, 07:50 PM

I am not a fan of the Auto -shut off , but have to admit it has saved me on more than a few occasions.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by kristijoy View Post
I have a little travel iron without auto shut off. I have it sitting next to my sewing machine when I piece. (I use the big auto shut off iron for ironing big pieces of fabric or clothes). I do, though, have the small travel iron attached to the same extension cord that a light is attached too. I turn both on together. So I know if the light is on, the iron is too. That way it's easy to remember to turn it off, because I wouldn't leave a light when I left the room!
kristi which travel iron do you have that doesn't have the auto-off on it? I'd like one for my extension cord hook up to my timer & portable iron. That way when I turn off the power strip for the timer it also turns off the iron.