Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Iron without steam?

Question Iron without steam?

I thought I had read about an iron that does not have the steam feature. I do not use the steam on mine ever, if I need it to be steamed I spray with water. If I remember correctly the iron was flat with no holes, which it would not need if there was no steam.

Mine have the steam feature but I never use it. I always forgot to drain it when I was finished using it so it would get clogged up. Now if I need moisture I use spray starch in a pump bottle. Works great.

Here's the one I have. Works great.
    http://tinyurl.com/lkvclym

When my steam iron goes out I plan to buy one without the holes in the sole plate. I use a spray bottle of water when needed.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I'd suggest you buy a vintage iron. It'll last forever. Mines not vintage, its from the early 1980's but it's a workhorse. I've read that many quilters are now buying irons from the 50's and 60's because they are better made and can take the abuse. In the last 10 yrs + I've bought on average a iron a yr for my sewing studio. Finally I dug out my old iron that I only used for clothing(which is never). It gets much hotter than the new irons, and like jingle I use a spray bottle when needed.

Thanks for all of the information, will be on the look out for one of these.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by judylg View Post
    I thought I had read about an iron that does not have the steam feature. I do not use the steam on mine ever, if I need it to be steamed I spray with water. If I remember correctly the iron was flat with no holes, which it would not need if there was no steam.
    Here you go ladies - I ordered mine and it should be here by the end of the week!! YAY!!

(only $29.95 and FREE shipping!)

http://www.always-free-shipping.com/...FWZk7AodTAYA5g

Blog Entries
    Go to VermontCountryStore.com and put iron in search box. I have the dry iron and really like it.

its called a 'dry iron', has a flat plate- no steam holes- generally located with all the other irons in the store- just look for one called a dry iron instead of steam iron.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I am in Canada, not sure how the shipping would work, beings it is charged by weight. Anyone know where I could get one here? Thanks.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast