Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Iron without steam?

Question Iron without steam?

I thought I had read about an iron that does not have the steam feature. I do not use the steam on mine ever, if I need it to be steamed I spray with water. If I remember correctly the iron was flat with no holes, which it would not need if there was no steam.

Mine have the steam feature but I never use it. I always forgot to drain it when I was finished using it so it would get clogged up. Now if I need moisture I use spray starch in a pump bottle. Works great.

Here's the one I have. Works great.
    http://tinyurl.com/lkvclym

When my steam iron goes out I plan to buy one without the holes in the sole plate. I use a spray bottle of water when needed.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I'd suggest you buy a vintage iron. It'll last forever. Mines not vintage, its from the early 1980's but it's a workhorse. I've read that many quilters are now buying irons from the 50's and 60's because they are better made and can take the abuse. In the last 10 yrs + I've bought on average a iron a yr for my sewing studio. Finally I dug out my old iron that I only used for clothing(which is never). It gets much hotter than the new irons, and like jingle I use a spray bottle when needed.

Thanks for all of the information, will be on the look out for one of these.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by judylg View Post
    I thought I had read about an iron that does not have the steam feature. I do not use the steam on mine ever, if I need it to be steamed I spray with water. If I remember correctly the iron was flat with no holes, which it would not need if there was no steam.
    Here you go ladies - I ordered mine and it should be here by the end of the week!! YAY!!

(only $29.95 and FREE shipping!)

http://www.always-free-shipping.com/...FWZk7AodTAYA5g

Blog Entries
    Go to VermontCountryStore.com and put iron in search box. I have the dry iron and really like it.

Blog Entries
    its called a 'dry iron', has a flat plate- no steam holes- generally located with all the other irons in the store- just look for one called a dry iron instead of steam iron.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I am in Canada, not sure how the shipping would work, beings it is charged by weight. Anyone know where I could get one here? Thanks.

VermontCountry Store has a Dry Iron for 29.95. I've used them off and on for several years.

I bought my dry iron from Vermont country store also and I love it! Got tired of the little steam holes leaving their mark on my appliques.

Blog Entries
    Amazon has the no steam iron for $14.99 every so often. Different affiliates that sell through Amazon have different prices.
    Got fabric?

I, too, have the Vermont Country Store iron and love it. I spray with Mary Ellen's Best Press when I need moisture.

Quote Originally Posted by leatheflea View Post
    I'd suggest you buy a vintage iron. It'll last forever. Mines not vintage, its from the early 1980's but it's a workhorse. I've read that many quilters are now buying irons from the 50's and 60's because they are better made and can take the abuse. In the last 10 yrs + I've bought on average a iron a yr for my sewing studio. Finally I dug out my old iron that I only used for clothing(which is never). It gets much hotter than the new irons, and like jingle I use a spray bottle when needed.
    I found a brand new early 60s GE dry iron on ebay. It was still sealed in the original box. You absolutely can't beat it. It gets hot enough on the cotton setting that it will heat up my entire sewing room if I leave it on. During the winter that's kind of nice but I have to shut it off regularly during the summer or it gets too hot in here.

Maybe Amazon.ca? I purchased mine off of Amazon.com.
    - Rose

Blog Entries
    read comments on the irons though. before you decide.

I also bought the dry iron from HD online. Loved it. Too bad it didn't last a year before it quit.

My mom used to have a Sunbeam dry iron, and she always sprinkled her clothes for ironing with a water-filled pop bottle with a sprinkler stuck in the top. (I can't think of an easier way to describe it...wish I had a pic to show you.) The iron was heavier than these new ones, and a workhorse.
    When someone mentions quilting, I go to pieces!

Blog Entries
    My mom had a pop bottle (7-up!)/sprinkler combo like that--I had forgotten about it until now!

Quote Originally Posted by jojo47 View Post
    My mom used to have a Sunbeam dry iron, and she always sprinkled her clothes for ironing with a water-filled pop bottle with a sprinkler stuck in the top. (I can't think of an easier way to describe it...wish I had a pic to show you.) The iron was heavier than these new ones, and a workhorse.

All I have used for the last 35 years is a dry iron as I do not like steam. If I need moisture I use a spray of water.
    Sheena

Banned
    Vermont Country Store has the dry iron. Google for info

Quote Originally Posted by sandy l View Post
    Go to VermontCountryStore.com and put iron in search box. I have the dry iron and really like it.
    I have this iron and really like it.

Cheers, K

I, also, bought mine from Vermont Country Store. Works great.

Love my Vermont Country Store dry iron. I dilute Mary Ellen's Best Press 1/2 with water for large projects and spritz it on. I prefer this to drippy steam irons.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast