Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ironing board cover >

Ironing board cover

Ironing board cover

Old 01-07-2014, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Emma S View Post
Yeap love that feeling of making use of something I already have. Love the way yours turned out, why not have something pretty on your board, we sure spend enough time staring at the surface?
we sure do spend a lot of time on the ironing boards
Old 01-07-2014, 12:48 PM

I did the same several years ago. It made ironing a tiny bit better, plus I didn't mind leaving it up because I liked the fabric so much!
Old 01-07-2014, 12:49 PM

I do what my mother did... I fold up an old sheet, and pin it on with elastic, connecting the sides underneath the board. When it gets raunchy, I wash it, and fold it differently than it had been.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:40 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
It looks pretty! Now quick, iron a piece of Freezer paper to the part you use most to keep it nice. I put a new piece of fabric on my ironing board this week as well. Mine is just boring muslin though.
THANKS Tartan for the suggestion !! GREAT idea !!
Old 01-07-2014, 02:56 PM

really like yours!!! I made one from silicone covered fabric but it lasted only 6 months before it needed replacing. Next one I make is going to be following your suggestion. Thanks!!
Old 01-07-2014, 06:14 PM

To keep the new cover nice for awhile, I have a piece of sheet handy and put it over the top when i use spray starch. When that piece of sheet gets bad I wash it.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:23 PM

So refreshing! Love the fabric you used.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:45 PM

Nothing is nicer to press on than a new ironing boards cover. . You did a lovely job.

Judy in Phx, AZ
Old 01-07-2014, 08:36 PM
Power Poster

[QUOTE=JudyTheSewer;6496469]Nice! I am "frugal" also and have been needing to cover my board (spotted areas, dark areas, sticky). Using home dec fabric is a great idea! All I have is garment fabric and quilting cottons. Currently I have an old unused twin sized sheet thrown over it. There was so much starch on the silver cloth that the sheet is securely stuck on there! I would really like a nicer looking solution. Your's is nice.

Tartan, I am interested in the freezer paper solution. Does the paper scorch? Do you simply replace it when that happens or do you add an additional freezer paper on top? Do fabrics damp from starch affect the paper negatively? I think I'd like to try this the next time I nicely re-cover my board. I love this Quilting Board. I get so many tips and tricks from all of you. It makes quilting and all things sewing so much nicer.[/QUOTE
I iron a nice big square of white freezer paper to the section of the ironing board I use the most. The last piece lasted about 6 months before I peeled it off to replace it. I use starch with mine all the time. You could iron another layer on top but mine is usually too nasty for that.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
It looks pretty! Now quick, iron a piece of Freezer paper to the part you use most to keep it nice. I put a new piece of fabric on my ironing board this week as well. Mine is just boring muslin though.
I agree with Wolp33 - never thought of this and I just put a new ironing board cover on so I can do this. Thanks for the tip!