Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: irons

irons

Which iron would you recommend for quilting? I need to buy a better one.

I like mine a lot, but it's pricey. I have the Oliso - the yellow one (don't remember the model number).

I like the fact that it stays hot! Even when ironing yardage, I don't have to wait for it to cycle to hot again and again - it remains a constant usable hot no matter how long I use it.

I love the long 12' cord!

I love the plate - nothing sticks to it, I never get scorching, and it's easy to clean with a damp cloth.

Of course it has the feet that will lift it - which is a nice feature - but I turn it off quite often. For example if I am pressing pieces of blocks (say HST's) I'll drop the iron one while I finger press the next open, then swap them - this way I can keep going. But I do like the feet option for when I'm ironing yardage - my board is 45" long so once I have the fabric over the board no room for the iron, but with the feet raised I can place the iron on my cutting board (right behind me) without a problem!!

I also like the fact that it's heavy - I prefer a heavy iron to a light iron. I know some people like a lighter weight iron.

I don't ever use steam so I can't tell you how that function of the iron performs.W

Would I buy it again even though it's very pricey ... yes ... but I'll shop around for the best price
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Rowentas USED to be good, now they're nightmares waiting to happen; ditto with the Shark. Haven't tried the Oliso yet
    but that's probably my next one. Good luck!
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

Blog Entries
    I have a Reliable digital velocity, pricey but it works very well.

Having spent big $$$ on two top of the line Rowenta's and had them both stop working... I have gone to cheap Walmart irons. My only advise is get a good sole plate .. stay away from the teflon coated. Should you get some fusible on the teflon .. nightmare to get it off. A good sole plate can handle the clean -up from the occasional ... mishap.

I've also been burned by Rowenta, no pun intended, and won't buy their irons anymore. I'm using a Digital Velocity V100 from the Reliable Corp. I like it. I don't use the steam much, but when I do it is AWESOME, much better than any other iron I've tried, and it is designed so that it is never supposed to leak.

Some people prefer lightweight irons (I like heavy ones), some use steam all the time, others always iron dry. Your preference in an iron may not match mine.

I have the Oliso, the blue one. I use it both with and without steam. It works well for me because I don't have to lift it.
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

I have a Rowenta and love it!

I have my moms oreck and i really like that.

I love my T-Fal!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast