Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Irons >

Irons

Irons

Old 10-24-2016, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by carol45 View Post
I use my Black & Decker iron with t-shirt transfers made on my ink jet printer. In recent years they haven't been coming out very well and I'm guessing that the iron isn't getting hot enough. Which irons, in your experience get hotter than others? When I press seams for piecing with the Black & Decker, it's fine, but on its hottest setting it would never scorch anything.
Does anyone have any suggestions for t-shirt transfer ironing?
If you can get your hands on a old iron, one of the real heavy ones with no fancy features, they get really hot, so be careful.. Be sure to use a pressing cloth.. But you will definitely get the heat..
Old 10-24-2016, 04:53 AM

I read on Nancy Zieman site that you should use filtered water in your steam irons and they won't start spitting and leaking. NOT distilled, filtered, like running it through a Brita pitcher before using it in your iron.. I know this is not about the iron getting hot, but just a FYI. I have a cheap iron I have been using filtered water in for awhile and it seems to work. Also make sure you empty the water out when not using your iron.
Old 10-24-2016, 05:35 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by duckydo View Post
I read on Nancy Zieman site that you should use filtered water in your steam irons and they won't start spitting and leaking. NOT distilled, filtered, like running it through a Brita pitcher before using it in your iron.. I know this is not about the iron getting hot, but just a FYI. I have a cheap iron I have been using filtered water in for awhile and it seems to work. Also make sure you empty the water out when not using your iron.
I read that article too, and made me realize that tap water here may not be the same as tap water some other place, so the idea of filtered made sense. I'm thinking it makes all the water about the same? Then the iron mfg. can calibrate/consider innards with all the same water? Anyway, I did get a Brita and when I do use the steam function that's what I use.
Old 10-24-2016, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
On the few times I tried doing this, I had very little luck. We have a local embroidery shop that has one of the big presses like you see in t-shirt shops where they put various decals on the shirts. The shop owner graciously pressed my printouts on the t-shirts for a small fee - I think it was about $1/shirt. Well worth it. Those particular shirts' decals have lasted for decades through some really hard wear and washings. Perhaps you have something like that near to you that might be worth your while?

My only other suggestion would be to try to pick up a vintage dry iron at a yard sale. Those things seem to get really hot.
I will try to find a place that will do it. Thanks!
Old 10-24-2016, 09:50 AM

carol45,

I have a Shark. Bought it at Walmart for about 12.00. I love it. Gets hot fast, wrinkles are gone with a little help from vinegar and water in a spray bottle.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:26 AM

I needed an iron to get to 150º to melt the glue in a project. I had a new Rowenta so I called them and asked them what the temperature settings were on it. Well, the mfg does not set the temperatures to a specified hotness on their irons. So, one iron could get hotter than a different at the same setting. My iron only got to 140º so it wouldn't get hot enough for what I needed. So I understand your concern about the glue not melting. I had a friend who loved to go to garage sales. So I had him search for an old iron that did not have holes. He found one for me. I took it to a shop that replaced the cord for me and it really gets hot!
Old 10-24-2016, 02:57 PM

I found a Maytag iron at Sam's Club yesterday and liked the looks of it and have been thinking of going back for it. I have never seen or heard of one before. Do any of you have one and if you do, how well do you like it you like it?
Old 10-25-2016, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by duckydo View Post
You need to read the owners manual for every iron. One size does not fit all. Softened water is not good to use, for example. Let the iron heat up properly before ironing.
sandy
Old 10-27-2016, 07:24 PM

After I had two really expensive irons die rather quickly, I decided that cheap would do just as well.
I was right.

I bought a little Rival iron at WalMart, for $12. Used it daily for several years. When it finally died, I went back to WalMart and got another one just like it...for $6!!!!!!!!!!

Does it get hot enough? Well, considering that in a moment of distraction, I managed to scorch some fabric, I would say "YES!!"
I NEVER use any water in it... if I need moisture to release some really stubborn wrinkles, I have a spray bottle of water, set on fine mist (got the bottle in the WalMart Garden center).

Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 11-03-2016, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
On the few times I tried doing this, I had very little luck. We have a local embroidery shop that has one of the big presses like you see in t-shirt shops where they put various decals on the shirts. The shop owner graciously pressed my printouts on the t-shirts for a small fee - I think it was about $1/shirt. Well worth it. Those particular shirts' decals have lasted for decades through some really hard wear and washings. Perhaps you have something like that near to you that might be worth your while?

My only other suggestion would be to try to pick up a vintage dry iron at a yard sale. Those things seem to get really hot.
Thanks so much for your suggestion! I never would have thought of it. I found someone locally who will heat press the 12 shirts for $20 so I'm all set.
I love this board!
Thanks again,
Carol