Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Irons >

Irons

Irons

Old 11-04-2016, 04:37 AM

Did you make the Tshirts yourself?

I'm wondering if the knit in the premade shirt wasn't treated with some kind of finishing agent - especially a good brand of shirt. Did you wash it before trying to put the iron on on the shirt?

I've used any iron I had at the time, and no trouble. An old Canon inkjet and Rowenta, Sunbeam, whatever was around. No problem. The only difference - I made the shirts themselves and could put the decal on totally flat before sewing.
Old 11-04-2016, 05:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by sushi View Post
After having been very disappointed by a couple of high-priced irons over the years, I've become a big fan of cheap irons (especially Black and Decker) that I can throw away when they begin to fail. While I hate adding to the landfill, I feel better about ditching a $25 iron than a $50+ iron, and in my experience they fail at about the same rate.

That said, I've never owned a Rowenta, and I've never done a t-shirt transfer.
Me too. The expensive ones never seem to last as long as the cheaper ones. My B&D still going strong after 15 years. If yours isn't, the heating element is going out.
Old 11-04-2016, 06:57 AM

I bought the Eureka Voyage travel iron I saw people mention here from Amazon. It was nice and light, long cord, but the temp. control level stopped working after using it just a couple times. I was very disappointed. I have a travel iron I bought at a thrift sale back in the 80s. I love it but it has been dropped and is taped together. It's still better than anything I've been able to buy since. I'd also like a vacuum cleaner to clean up cat litter but have decided there probably isn't anything better on the market than what I already have. I must have 6 or 8 of various styles but the little carry around canister one I had gave out. Guess they don't make that type anymore. Guess my problem is I'm old enough to remember when quality items were for sale.
Old 11-04-2016, 04:15 PM
Power Poster

I think 1600 watts is about all you can buy anymore. But, I found a brand new GE one that is from the sixties I will use when my rowenta gives out.
Old 11-04-2016, 05:16 PM

I had a $15 dollar whatever iron was cheap at target that lasted 9 years. My next target cheapie lasted barely a few months? I've had my shark iron from target for three years now and it's great. I don't use any water in them ever, I have a spray bottle with distilled water since our tap water is full of minerals