Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
It's A Wonderful Thing! >

It's A Wonderful Thing!

It's A Wonderful Thing!

Old 05-11-2014, 07:03 AM

Default It's A Wonderful Thing!

Just opened my mail and saw an ad for a bobbin tower! I thought to myself, "Wow, that's a great idea to have a bunch of bobbins ready to go". Duh moment...why have I not been doing this before? I won't be buying a tower but I'm definitely going to pre-fill my bobbins today.

Do you pre-fill your bobbins?
Old 05-11-2014, 07:17 AM
Power Poster

I quilt winding my own bobbins a long time ago. I use prefilled. I use Superior and Fil Tec bobbins. The stitch is more balanced and the bobbins last longer. When I do wind a bobbin I wind several of the same thread so I don't have to wind again for a while.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:19 AM

Always. I keep a good supply loaded with bobbin thread - can't recommend it highly enough for a good, strong stitch and perfect blender in just white or black. The only time I change from bobbin thread is if I'm doing embroidery on finer fabric and want a dense color with no variations.

The last thing I want to have to do in the middle of a project is stop and load a bobbin.

One other thing about the bobbin thread. Because it is so fine, you get lots more yardage per bobbin which means less frequent changes. And, might I mention that the best-wound bobbin is done at about half maximum speed.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:52 AM

So all of this being said, what color do you use to wind onto the bobbin?...and is it the same thread as the top thread?
Old 05-11-2014, 09:45 AM

I match my bobbin thread to the top only in piecing. I've never used the pre filled bobbins and have only used the finer bobbin thread for embroidery machines. I never thought about using it to quilt with. I use a lot of transparent thread to quilt so I match the bottom to the backing. I do however fill many bobbins when quilting so I don't have to stop and rewind.
Old 05-11-2014, 10:09 AM
Power Poster

​I pre-wind my black and white bobbins. All the rest of the colours I wind as needed.
Old 05-11-2014, 11:42 AM

I generally use a beige, white or pale gray for piecing and I will wind several of them when sewing.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:20 PM
Power Poster

When piecing I wind 2 bobbins. When the first one runs out, I just do a quick vacuum of my bobbin area and put the second one in. when that one runs out, I do a thorough cleaning, then wind 2 more.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:38 PM

I wind 4 to 6 neutral color bobbins. I clean the area every time I change a bobbin because I use cotton thread.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:58 PM

I have used those for years! Some folks don't like them, but I sure do and keep 10 or more full bobbins at all times in my neutral color. and 1 or 2 each of other colors I use frequently.

Originally Posted by Twisted Quilter View Post
Just opened my mail and saw an ad for a bobbin tower! I thought to myself, "Wow, that's a great idea to have a bunch of bobbins ready to go". Duh moment...why have I not been doing this before? I won't be buying a tower but I'm definitely going to pre-fill my bobbins today.

Do you pre-fill your bobbins?