Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome 1600P quilting machine--help >

Janome 1600P quilting machine--help

Janome 1600P quilting machine--help

Old 04-20-2010, 02:46 PM

I just recently got this same setup. And, I am having a problem right now with the upper thread breaking after a few stitches. Changing to a different thread is on my list to try. I read somewhere else that Guterman was a good choice. I also read somewhere that it would be possible and very easy to do, just to remove the feed dogs totally since the are not used with the quilting frame. Might try that.

I bought mine online also. Only I bought my seperately in order to get a better price.

stitchfancy

Originally Posted by fish92241
I have a Janome 1600P machine now 1-1/2 yrs. old on a Gracie quilt frame that I ordered online as a package because no one locally carried it. I had a lot of trouble with top thread breaking, but now I finally found a thread it likes (Guterman). It will sew all right with the straight stitch, but when I put on the free motion foot with the thick plate to cover feed dogs, it fails to pick up the bobbin thread. It just keeps sewing and makes no stitches. Janome will not help me--says take it to a dealer at my own expense since I bought it online. First, does anyone have any advice that I can try myself--anyone ever had this trouble? Appreciate anything you can offer.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:36 PM

There are different models of the Janome 1600. The 1600P uses the HL needles. The 1600P-DB and 1600P-DBX use the DB needles. I have the 1600P-DB. The HL needles have a flat side the DB needles don't.
So it is different needle for different model.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:57 PM

Threads I have sucessfully used with my Janome 1600. I have used Signature, So Fine, Isacord and Isofil. I have also used a cotton machine quilting thread available at Walmart and Hobby Lobby. The only thing I have had trouble with was the water soluble. I might have figured it out if I had been more patient. After 5 minutes of breaking thread, I pulled it off the machine.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:16 PM

Thanks for your info. I was looking in the manual and saw the information about the needles.

I've been playing some more and I tried turning the dial on the speed control down just a little and that seemed to help, so maybe it isn't the thread after all. I'm going to work with it some more tomorrow.

I'm finally getting the hang of following the pattern. I made myself a skill practice piece using a lot of different borders and misc. designs. It's getting a little easier day by day - I didn't think I would ever see that happen.

stitchfancy
Old 04-20-2010, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by rhondakp
Threads I have sucessfully used with my Janome 1600. I have used Signature, So Fine, Isacord and Isofil. I have also used a cotton machine quilting thread available at Walmart and Hobby Lobby. The only thing I have had trouble with was the water soluble. I might have figured it out if I had been more patient. After 5 minutes of breaking thread, I pulled it off the machine.
Why would you quilt something with water soluble thread? Wouldn't that disappear after the first wash?
Old 04-20-2010, 05:27 PM

I was quilting a 108 x 108 quilt and thought I would have to turn it before I finished it. I was using the water soluble to baste it before I turned it. I ended up quilting it all the way through without turning.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:20 PM

I was ready to go out and buy some HLx5 needles since they have a flat side, but since it is for a different model, I'll stay with the DBx. This is the first Janome I have ever had, and I am very disappointed. Other models are probably okay, but this is really beyond home use. If the quilt isn't too big I just quilt it on my Bernina. I hope maybe things will eventually settle in. Thanks for all the input.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:43 PM

Eureka! I finally have my quilting setup working. I took the machine to a dealer who went all over it and it was working off the frame. On the frame it didn't work. Fiinally as a last resort I looked again at my frame and realized the take up rail was slightly lower than the feeding rail. I raised the take up rail and, wonder of wonders, it works.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:22 AM

Congratulations! I also find that most of the time it is something obvious that I may have missed, although it's hard to admit sometimes! LOL
Old 03-20-2015, 04:21 PM

Default Thread breakage

I just purchased a used Janome 1600P and was going nuts with thread breakage. I noticed in the manual that it suggests that if the thread breaks a lot to thread it through all three eyes of the pretension bar. I did that and have not had any more problems. Oh, and I also have to watch very carefully how I wind the thread around to get it into all three holes because sometimes I loop it and it forms a knot. I hope this helps.