Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome 1600P Quilter Help >

Janome 1600P Quilter Help

Janome 1600P Quilter Help

Old 02-15-2018, 10:15 AM

Default Janome 1600P Quilter Help

My new Janome 1600P arrived yesterday and I'm trying to set it up for quilting and need help. I have a quilting needle inserted, and the special quilting/darning foot attached, but I'm having trouble getting the settings just right and I've played with it for almost two hours. The manual that came with the machine says Nothing about quilting. What settings do you have yours set to for the Pressure Foot Dial, the Thread Tension Dial, and Stitch Length. Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated as I have a baby quilt to get done for my soon to arrive granddaughter.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 02-15-2018 at 10:35 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
Old 02-15-2018, 12:01 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

Which foot do you have on? The hopping foot or the convertible quilting foot? Is it metal or plastic? High shank feet?

Are you using it on a frame or not?

What is the problem you are having? Stitch quality? Having trouble moving the fabric? Stitch length?

Last edited by Krisb; 02-15-2018 at 12:04 PM.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:10 PM
Power Poster

Need to know if you are using it on a frame or not.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:11 PM

I have that machine and the feed dogs don't drop, so in order to quilt on it, I have to put a special high/tall needle plate on. It prevents the feed dogs pulling on the fabric. Maybe this is the cause of the issue you're having?
Old 02-15-2018, 12:56 PM

Not sure if this came with yours. I bought mine years ago and needed to upgrade to this foot and plate
https://www.amazon.com/Janome-Darnin.../dp/B00DQBVM34

As well, if you have access to purple tip needles, it will help with skipping stiches. I had a terrible time with skipping stitches and broken thread.
https://www.janomesewingcentre.com.a...e-tip-needles/

Foot tension set at 0, tension set at 5, tiny purple setting at the top should have screw inset at about 1/8"

Last edited by Chester the bunny; 02-15-2018 at 12:59 PM.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:02 PM
Power Poster

Did you also post this on a Facebook group? I saw something very similar. Anyway that machine looks like a Juki. The feeddogs should drop on that model I believe. I have the Brother 1500 and it is similar. It took me a long time to get it to do FMQ. I use a 100 top stitch needle and a thread holder. I’ve not had a problem with tension but there are suggestions to adjust the pressure on the presser foot. I like the Juki open toe foot for FMQ. My thread tension dial
lines up a tiny bit past the middle line on the right side of the dial. The top part of the guide on the pressure dial for the presser foot is at the top of the middle section. Don’t know what color that is on your machine. I never change the stitch length. You can try with the feed dogs at the second from bottom. Sometimes machines like the feed dogs up a little. I put the thread upside down through the first and third of those little holes before your first tension. Mine does t have that tension thing. Does it sew okay with a straight stitch? Try different threads. Keep us posted! Good luck!
Old 02-15-2018, 01:18 PM

Hello there,
I have the same machine and this is how I set it up for FMQ. It works very well - but you are right there is nothing in the manual about it.
You will need the "Convertible Free Motion Quilting Foot Set for 1600P" Part No 767-433-004 (this contains a foot holder, open -toe foot and darning plate). If you also buy the "Free Motion Frame Quilting Feet Set for 1600P" Part No 767-434-005, you get another open toe quilting foot and an excellent ruler foot. The second set requires the foot holder and the darning plate from the first set to function.

1/ Attach the open toed free-motion quilting foot (or ruler foot).
2/ Unscrew the standard needle plate and attach the darning plate for free-motion quilting (this covers the feed dogs)
3/ Set stitch length to zero.
4/ Set pressure foot pressure to zero.
5/ Lower the upper tension a bit.
6/ Adjust free-motion foot height as desired.

I hope this is of some help. I'm sure you will love it once you get going.
Best wishes.
Old 02-16-2018, 05:11 AM

use mine for sit down quilting i have my feet dogs done and the stitch length is on 3 and the other tension dial is also
on three and the window next to the tension is set on three. it was set from the store where i bought it
Old 02-17-2018, 11:28 AM

I'm using the darning foot with darning plate that was sent with it and using a size 14 needle with Aurifil thread.. I can get it to free motion, but the stitch seems a little off to me and that's why I asked for help. I will be putting it on a frame and have sent for a stitch controller and that may help with my problem. Thank you for your input.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:33 AM

I do have the darning foot with darning plate on the machine. Have also inserted a special needle that was included with my purchase for quilting...a #14 with Aurifil thread. I can get it to free motion, but the stitches seem a little off to me and that is why I asked for help. I will also be using this machine on a Grace SR2 quilting frame. I've sent for a speed/stitch controller and that may help. Thank you for your input.