Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome Memory Craft 6500P Worth It? >

Janome Memory Craft 6500P Worth It?

Janome Memory Craft 6500P Worth It?

Old 04-02-2013, 10:01 AM
Power Poster

If you can purchase the 6600 at a quilt show or state fair, you may be able to get it for very close to the price of a 6500 at regular price. Dealerships offer the best deals during state fair and shows; I think they get a break from the manufacturer at those times.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:24 AM

I have a Janome 6500 which I purchased new in 2004. It was the most expensive machine that I have ever bought and the one that I have had the most trouble with of any machine that I have used. My machine should have been painted yellow and I'm sure it was made first thing on a Tuesday morning after a long weekend. I also had the added problem of a dealer who was less than helpful (no use at all) and blamed all problems on "operator error". My machine had serious bobbin case issues, chipping paint, poor tension, inability to raise and lower the feed dogs, walking foot that would not operate, feed dogs that wouldn't move fabric in evenly, jamming at the beginning of seams, veering off seam junctions, changing stitch length randomly, breaking needles at thicker spots to name the main problems. I have finally had most of these problems resolved or have learned to work around them. I have just bought a new to me Juki TL98Q and the difference is unbelievable. There are great Janome 6500 reviews out there but mine is not one of them!!!
Old 04-04-2013, 01:20 PM

Thanks or the valid input. It's always good to hear the "less than perfect" stories too It kinda balances out perspectives. I read this Janome 6500P review, which seems to only present the positive side of things, so thanks for letting me know about the other side.

Thanks
Julee

Originally Posted by Shelbie View Post
I have a Janome 6500 which I purchased new in 2004. It was the most expensive machine that I have ever bought and the one that I have had the most trouble with of any machine that I have used. My machine should have been painted yellow and I'm sure it was made first thing on a Tuesday morning after a long weekend. I also had the added problem of a dealer who was less than helpful (no use at all) and blamed all problems on "operator error". My machine had serious bobbin case issues, chipping paint, poor tension, inability to raise and lower the feed dogs, walking foot that would not operate, feed dogs that wouldn't move fabric in evenly, jamming at the beginning of seams, veering off seam junctions, changing stitch length randomly, breaking needles at thicker spots to name the main problems. I have finally had most of these problems resolved or have learned to work around them. I have just bought a new to me Juki TL98Q and the difference is unbelievable. There are great Janome 6500 reviews out there but mine is not one of them!!!
Old 04-04-2013, 06:00 PM

I bought the 6500 as soon as it came out and put a lot of miles on it -- I did not experience any of the problems Shelbie described. I was tempted when the 6600 came out, but did not buy it. I grabbed the 7700 as soon as it came out -- I wanted the extra room the accufeed and the better lighting. I gave the 6500 to my daughter who has given it a work out -- sewing on boy scout patches, etc. She loves it. All that said -- I would go seriously look at one of the newer machines that have the accufeed (6600, 7700 or the newer 8200 or 8900) depending on what you can afford.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:40 AM

I have the 11000SE and the Horizon 7700. I love my Horizon very much, I traded in the 6600 after 8 months for the Horizon, I just didn't care for the 6600. However the acufeed foot is a must and since new machines have come out with the acufeed foot on them you can probably get the 7700 or even the 6600 at a pretty good price. The new Janomes have a 9mm width instead of the usual 7mm.