Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Jelly roll with one fabric? I don't get it!

Why would you buy a jelly roll with all of the same fabric? 2.5 inch strips times 40 is about 2.7 yards of fabric. To buy the same amount without it being precut is much cheaper. Add 10 mins to cut....Why would you do that? To me the point of a precut is to get the variety. Help me understand.

bj
    I would buy one for sashing and binding. Much easier than me cutting all those 2.5 strips. :-D :-D Unless it was way expensive.

It's just to have the convenience of not having to cut the strips. I knew there were jelly rolls of solids, like white, that you could use with your prints, but I haven't seen a jelly roll of all one print yet. It's just to shortcut the process.

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't buy it. I didn't know you could get it in only one color. Sound a bit lazy to me. I like to cut strips.

I don't understand the "thing" with pre-cuts either but then I'm probably not a good one to consult as I've always loved to cut. I do find that when we have a group quilting, very few quilters will take on the cutting job. It certainly does help to have the proper tools and a table at the right height. I often find that quilters don't know how to get the best use out of a rotary cutter and are often very awkward using it. I guess we all need to sharpen up our cutting skills so that we don't waste our hard earned quilting dollars on buying these precuts.

I just bought jelly rolls to make a log cabin quilt. My husband is quite ill and don't have much time to sew. For me it is a way to work on a quilt without taking precious time to cut.

Central Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Quote Originally Posted by kwhite
    Why would you buy a jelly roll with all of the same fabric? 2.5 inch strips times 40 is about 2.7 yards of fabric. To buy the same amount without it being precut is much cheaper. Add 10 mins to cut....Why would you do that? To me the point of a precut is to get the variety. Help me understand.
    Most of the time I'm inclined to agree. It sometimes seems like some have more money than sense.

Jan in VA

Power Poster
    Got me to thinking...I wouldn't buy it if it was cut width of fabric unless it was cheaper than buying yardage....BUT...if you could get in 3 yd. length of fabric, that would be great for borders. I like to cut my borders from full pieces on the length of grain because it has less stretch.

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    I love jelly rolls if it's the right price. I would buy all 1 print to use for binding and sashing. No matter how hard I try I can't cut strips straight they always have a bend in them.

Some people have physical issues, also that make cutting very difficult, such as arthritis or injuries. For them, pre-cuts may be the only way they can quilt. Or, at least, make it much, much easier.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast