Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Jelly Roll Quilt Questions >

Jelly Roll Quilt Questions

Jelly Roll Quilt Questions

Old 08-06-2014, 11:27 AM

Question Jelly Roll Quilt Questions

I'm finally getting around to making a JR quilt, but have a couple of questions that I hope someone will be able to answer. Please take pity on me...I can't seem to make heads or tails of this quilt!

1) I was only able to get one roll (20 strips) of the prints I like, but was able to buy FQs of the same fabric line which coordinate with the JR. Since FQs are 18" x 22" as opposed to the 42"- 44" of a JR strip, can I cut the JR strip in half? I really like scrappy quilts, so having lots of shorter strips in the top is no problem for me. My question is: can a JR top be made with shorter strips as long as the total length equals 1600"?

2) I watched the Missouri Star video on making a JR top and I understand that approximately 18" is cut off of the end of the first strip. If I am using shorter strips, do I cut 9" off the end of the first strip? (This is one place where I am getting confused). My thinking is that since my strips are going to be half as long as regular JR strips, then I'd cut half the amount from the first strip. True? How much should I cut off if 9" is not the correct amount?

3) The MSQ video goes much too quickly for me, so I am unsure of the actual steps involved. I understand you sew the strips together end to end. Then you fold the long (1600") strip in half and sew along one long side. (You now have a strip 800" long.) Yes? Now, do I cut open the folded side? Then I fold the double strip in half again and sew along a long side. Yes? Cut open the fold? How do you know when to stop folding and cutting? (I just can't wrap my mind around this!) Is there a tutorial that is written word/pictures instead of a super fast video?

4) Given the 1600" strip to begin the top, what size does the quilt top finish (before borders of course)?

Thank you all so much for your patience! Eventually I'll get this...I hope.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:44 AM

I don't think I can help you since I have no experience with the JR top, but it seems logical to think that your reasoning in #2 is correct. I look forward to the input from experience quilters.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:53 AM
Power Poster

you can use any length of strips. i'd be tempted to use the full AND half strips in the same quilt. and i'd just start with one of the short strips. the different lengths will give the quilt interest. IMHO. yes, make sure you use enough short and long to make the 1600.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:55 AM
Power Poster

I haven't made one, so you might want to wait to hear from someone who has. I think you may be over-thinking it. Everything you mentioned -- cutting strips in half, starting with a 9" strip, yes you do cut the fold (you can even cut before sewing, or before you get to the folded end) -- is correct. You stop the folding and sewing once the quilt is the finished size you are looking for, which will be when the width and length of the piece (before folding) looks proportional to you.

This website may help you with size considerations:
http://weefolkart.com/content/jelly-...-number-strips

Instead of cutting your jelly roll down to fit the size of your fat quarter strips, you may want to piece the fat quarter strips to equal the jelly roll strip length (40 to 42"). That would probably make all your calculations easier.

Edit: QuiltnNan is right. Just start with a shorter strip and intermingle all the lengths. Simpler and easier than my suggestion, and scrappier than the original Jelly Roll quilt.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:19 PM

Prism: THANK YOU!!! The website is awesome and really helped me visualize (and calculate!) how many strips I will need. I did think about sewing the FQ strips into a longer strip length, but I like the idea of a scrappier look.

QuiltnNan: THANK YOU!!! The idea for intermingling all the different lengths, is a great idea. (Now I have to go out to buy more fabric...enough for 96 strips for a queen sized top! I shouldn't have asked....LOL. Good thing this is not an "out of stock" line of fabrics.)

GailG: So far I've gotten excellent advice and suggestions. Hope these help you as well.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:37 PM

The reason you cut 18" off of that first strip is just so the seams won't line up. So as others have said, in your case, just alternating between short & long strips should do the trick.

How do you know when to stop? You stop when it looks like about the right size & shape you want. Seriously, there are no real rules here! A standard 40-strip quilt will give you a finished quilt around 50x60 inches, depending on how you sew it (diagonal joins use up more fabric, straight seams use less). To me this is too small, so I use more fabric! And you can always throw a border or two on there to enlarge it if you wish.

The steps you outlined in #3 are exactly right. Fold, stitch, snip the fold, fold, stitch, snip the fold...
Old 08-06-2014, 01:09 PM

You've had lots of great advice to go with. When I made a Jelly Roll Race 2, I added 6 strips from my stash to make the length longer. With your FQ shorter strips, simply mix them in shorter and longer all mixed. It should work out fine. I found the Jelly Roll Race 2 easier because I didn't have to sew the angles, just a 2/12 inch square between strips. So you may want to consider if you like that look also.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:44 PM
Power Poster

I find it amusing that you have the skills and patience to make the gorgeous quilt in your avatar, but have questions about a JR race quilt.

The size of a JR race quilt is actually a little problematic. Using the standard method of sewing, cutting in half, sewing, cutting in half, means that you don't have many options for size. As you add strips you will successively get sections that are (finished) 2", 4", 8", 16", 32", 64" wide. (Doubling again would give you something that's 128" wide, and that's humongous.) So most jelly roll quilts are made to be 64" wide, and borders are added if a wider quilt is desired. The length of the quilt turns out to be 1/32 the length of the very long strip that you start with. That means if you want to have a quilt that is 64x64, you need to start with a strip that is 64*32=2048 inches long, which would be about 51 strips.

So the answer to where you stop would usually be after 5 seams, when your quilt is 64" wide (or maybe after 4 seams when your quilt is 32" wide if you're making a baby quilt with far fewer strips).
Old 08-06-2014, 10:27 PM

I found when it cane to sewing the jr quilt I did best when I fan folded the first long strip and those after it. That way the fabric didn't get tangled. I put my fan folded strip on its side in a small shoe box.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:43 PM

Thanks for ALL the great advice here. I really appreciate it. Now I have a couple of projects to finish first and then onto my JR quilt.