Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
remember me telling about repairing an old quilt covered with mildew? >

remember me telling about repairing an old quilt covered with mildew?

remember me telling about repairing an old quilt covered with mildew?

Old 07-21-2014, 01:39 AM

Red face remember me telling about repairing an old quilt covered with mildew?

Just to re-cap...a stranger approached me in the GW and asked if I would repair his old quilt. Turns out "Grandma" made it when she was in her 90's...back in the 70's. It is made out of double knit polyester. Not my choice...but maybe at the time, that was all "Grandma" had. All hand sewn. It was badly in need of repair. Every single seam had to be machine sewn all over again. Took me five weeks...because I was not excited about it. He was very patient....I had a lot of trouble with it because it was covered with mildew. It lived in his trunk a long time. Of course, I couldn't wash it until I got repaired it. So every time I had it in my lap...I would end up sneezing and then my asthma would kick in. Joy! Finally, I got it done. I had asked you all for advice on how to get the mildew out. You all had some really good ideas. What I had on hand, though, was some stuff called "AWESOME"...I got it at the dollar store. I filled up the sink ...poured the entire bottle in...added the quilt...and let it soak for 3 hours. Then I spent over 90 minutes hand scrubbing the entire quilt. Mildew does not let go easily. lol. Then I threw it in the washer. OMG!!! What a joy. It all came out. It looked like a brand new quilt. I was soooo excited. The man wanted it tied just like "Grandma" had done. I tried to talk him into other ways...but he wanted it the way he had it. I have arthritis and was not crazy about sitting around tieing (sp)...so I got a brainstorm. I simply laid the 3 inch piece of yarn on the top...and zig-zagged over it tightly about 1/4 inch. Then tied the ends into a square knot and trimmed. Took me almost the whole weekend to finish it...but that's better than a week, I figured. He was thrilled. Men don't see the flaws. lol All he wanted was to take it home and put it on a quilt rack. I tried to show him some things I had done to make really pretty...but like I said...Men don't care. He just paid me and left. Whew!!! Now I can start to play with my own projects. p.s. I forgot to take a picture...he left so fast.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:18 AM

way to go!
Old 07-21-2014, 02:55 AM
Power Poster

Well done! I hope he left you a bucket of money for that one.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:47 AM

Sounds like you made a good save! Persistence does pay off. You made that gentleman very happy!
Old 07-21-2014, 04:51 AM

You are a trooper to tackle that one. I know he appreciates it even if he doesn't have a clue as to what all went into repairing it. Great job.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:04 AM

Bless you for that kind deed. Money doesn't cover what you went through on this one. And now, you can go do something you WANT to do. That's great.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:35 AM
Banned

Being his Grandma's quilt, I can understand why he didn't want it changed any more than absolutely necessary.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:35 AM
Power Poster

Ha! I love the way you "tied" it. I'm sure he loved it. After all, it was his Grandmothers!
Old 07-21-2014, 06:49 AM

Sounds like you made one person really happy. So often beauty is in the eye of the beholder, he clearly loves this quilt because his grandmother made it. It always makes me feel happy when I hear stories like this. Congratulations on your hard work, you really went above and beyond.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:10 AM
Power Poster

Wow! More proof that polyester double-knit is indestructible!!!