Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 10 11

Thread: Jelly Roll "race" quilt - HORRIBLE

The jelly roll quilts made with 2.5" strips will always be 32" or 64" long, unless you make some adjustments. To make one 96" long, you would need to add a strip after sewing the first 2 ends together. The added strip would need to be 1/2 the length of the first strip.

So, for example, if you used 80 strips, sewed the ends together, then added a piece of 40 strips. (or just used 3 pieces of 40 strips, with the ends adjusted so that they won't all end up the same length at the beginning of the strip)

80 strips x 40" = 3200"
    add 40 strips x 40" = 1600"

first sew 1600" x 3 x 2" = 6"
    800 x 12"
    400 x 24"
    200 x 48"
    100 x 96"

It would come out a little less than 100" from sewing the strips together, and even more less than 100" if you used diagonal seams. With butt ended seams, you'll lose 1/2" per seam. With diagonal seams, you'll lose 2 or 2.5" per seam.

I like the diagonally attached fabric, and also like the squares of an accent fabric attached to butt ends of fabric. I've usually seen those as black squares, but any accent color would work as long as it is contrasted from the rest of the strips.

So, to get lengths in between those, you'd just add another strip - when you have 4 strips sewn, add a 5th strip the length of the 4 strips. It's not difficult to calculate. And you can change the width of the strips to change the length of the quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
    I've made one and actually found the process enjoyable. I love sewing. I get kind of tired and bored if there's too much prep work (tracing, pressing, folding, etc.). I want to get to the good part and see what it looks like! I didn't care much for how the top itself turned out, so I cut the strips again in the opposite direction and made a postage stamp quilt. It looks MUCH better, lol.
    I like that idea, Peckish! I am about to make one of these quilts and was hoping the arrangement of strips would be good. If not...there is a way to make a change!

Here are two I did a while back. I cut my strips 3" wide instead of 2-1/2".
    I really like doing these when I want a "mindless" project, but sometimes don't like the colour arrangement. On the batik one pictured here, I ended up with too much of the same colours together about one third the way down. So unpicked a seam and flipped that whole piece upside down and re-sewed it to help balance out the colours a bit better. Took hardly any time to do.
    Name:  jelly roll race quilt.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  313.1 KB
    Last edited by Belfrybat; 08-09-2013 at 01:58 PM.

After I made the first one from 2 jelly rolls I had enjoyed it so much that when we had gotten the polka dot marble blenders in the store I purchased yardage & cut my own & made another one. Yes the first part is a long one, but you are at the end before you know it. My first one a friend has seen it & loves it, so guess what she will be getting it & I know that it will get used.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 10 11