Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Jo Anne's closing >

Jo Anne's closing

Jo Anne's closing

Old 09-24-2010, 05:16 AM

WalMart phased out fabric, now JoAnne's in the area is closing the doors! Saying they are loosing their lease and maybe will relocate. This only leaves a Hancocks, Hoby Lobby and a Quilt Shop for the entire Katy area of Texas. I will be buying more on line!
Old 09-24-2010, 05:19 AM

I don't have a Hancock's or Hobby Lobby anywhere near me and the closest "still open" quilt shop it almost an hr. away.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:29 AM

Sorry to hear that Donna. Shopping on line is okay, been lucky most of the time, but nothing replaces the feel of fabric in your hands...ahhhhh.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:38 AM

The frustrating part for my about online fabric shopping is the color on my computer can be soooo different from what the fabric really is. If I'm buying fabric for an entire quilt I have to get it from that one line, or I risk it not matching.
Sorry your Jo-Annes is leaving, they did that where I last lived, lost thier lease because when they went to renew the landlord refused to fix leaks in the roof. Jo-Annes never found another location there.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:59 AM

That is a shame. TheJoanns are actually upgrading their stores in our area. I was thrilled yesterday. I went to a JoAnns that is about 25 miles one way from me. In the past it has been a total mess. They now carry almost a whole aisle of different threads and brands. They have the numbered cutting system where you take a number and they even moved all of the quilt fabrics and notions etc. to the front of the store right where you come in. The best part is that is now clean and neat. The shop nearest to me, about 12 miles has gotten the new thread but I don't think they have room to do what the other stores have done.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:17 AM

I agree on the color matching issues! And yes not reopening is a very large problem. I live in a rural area so travel to the closest shops is 45 min. Trips to buy fabric are scheduled and not on a whim. For something special there is a very nice quilt shop and the prices are higher.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:21 AM

we have one Joanns and one LQS both about 50 miles away. Haven't checked WM or KM for fabric, I try to stay away from them, in a very congested interchange with a lot of traffic.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:30 AM

Sounds good. One woman said she heard that "if" they reopen it will be a "super JoAnne's". Seems that in other parts of the country they have started making larger stores. We will wait and see, meantime, sewing season is upon us for the holidays. Will trip into Hobby Lobby to see what is available. Using their coupons helps with batting.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:33 AM

There's a nice JoAnn's near Willowbrook Shopping Center...a little drive for you, but there are lots of other stores to visit in the area!
Old 09-24-2010, 06:42 AM

We must be very lucky here. Our Joann's is expanding! They're doubling the size - will open on Oct 1! We also have 4 LQSs, Hancocks and our Walmart still carries fabric!