Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Jo Anne's closing >

Jo Anne's closing

Jo Anne's closing

Old 01-08-2022, 10:20 AM

I have been searching out JAF a bit further than I like to go but still within 10 miles. There is a Hobby Lobby within that distance too. I have only been in there once. Hancock's close 15 years ago and Walmart phased out their fabrics 5-6 yrs ago. Since the pandemic started I have picked up some Insul-Bright once in the parking lot of JAF. Most of my fabrics, when I have had to buy any in the last 2 years has been on line. Usually that is backing fabrics since I work mostly from my stash now.
Buying online has its advantages. I only buy what I need and do not do any stash building. I was in a LQS about 20 miles from my home the other day. My sister and I did an outing she drove and I came along for the ride! It was a big thrill to see the new things that are coming out. I fell in love with the new line of Moda Grunge fabrics. Of course I didn't buy any.
We use to have a JAF only a mile away and it closed about 15 years ago. I went on a stash building splurge with premium quilting fabrics were 75-90% off. I miss that store still. I can feel your pain in the loss of the JAF close to you. 5-10 miles may not seem to far but for someone who drive less than 3000 miles a years it is a great distance. I have only been let down by one fabric I bought on line and it was my fault. I should have followed my instinct when trying a new store.
Old 01-09-2022, 05:04 AM

Yesterday while in JoAnne’s, I visited with a clerk cutting and bagging fabric. She said when she came to work that morning, there were more than 200 online orders waiting for her. I can see it’s a flourishing service.
Old 01-09-2022, 06:43 AM

These posts are from about 12 years ago. There's no more Hancocks anywhere they went out of business a decade or more ago go not sure why this is showing up.
Old 01-09-2022, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Lady Diana View Post
These posts are from about 12 years ago. There's no more Hancocks anywhere they went out of business a decade or more ago go not sure why this is showing up.
I think it was revived because a JoAnn’s is closing in the SF Bay Area in 2022. Which makes the thread title appropriate.
Old 01-09-2022, 11:55 AM
Power Poster

Nearly gave me heart failure, then I saw that it was a 12 yo resurrected thread.
Old 01-09-2022, 02:24 PM

That really is tough. We still have a JoAnne's but like any quilt shops, it is 30 miles from where I live. We live in farming country so have mostly small towns so have to drive whenever we need anything. With only one grocery store in town, the prices are always higher than bigger towns/cities and the selection of produce, etc. is small. I don't like ordering online, I need to feel the fabric. I am slowly cutting back on my quilting anyway so I guess I will survive. Have stash to use for most of what I want to make.
Old 01-09-2022, 04:22 PM

That’s a bummer. I seldom buy fabric from joanns, because I prefer the quality from hobby lobby or the LQS.
Old 01-13-2022, 11:13 AM

There are still two JAF stores within 15 miles of me, but I also prefer LQS quality when I can afford it. A little over a year ago I had to buy on-line because of a batik shortage. I discovered "Thousands of Bolts" and have been very pleased with their quality. The site also has color matching.