Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
joining batting >

joining batting

joining batting

Old 07-27-2015, 05:40 PM

Default joining batting

I was reading the thread on quilting in sections and read with interest (and enlightenment!) the process of joining your batting in an "s" line to avoid future creasing if it was done in a straight line. Wow...never thought about that but it makes good sense. My question is as follows: I have just whip stitched 2 lengths of batting together in a straight line and after reading the thread decided perhaps I should undo my joining and re-cut the pieces as suggested...but...I haven't enough width I think to do this as I was making do with what I had lying around. Now am I asking for trouble here? Should I bite the bullet, undo the stitching and buy another piece wide enough that I can attach with an "s" seam? This quilt is for my grandsons' bed and the join is going to be on the edge of the bed before the quilt drapes over the side.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:49 PM

I have just whip stitched it together for years. Never had problem, I do make sure the area joined is well quilted.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:01 PM
Power Poster

I used to join with the curved seam and whip stitch by hand. Now I just butt two straight pieces together and zigzag on the sewing machine. So much faster, and there's no problem with it coming apart or "showing" after quilting. I don't think there's any reason to fret over it, and certainly no reason to do it over.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:01 PM
Power Poster

The S cut isn't a necessity; just an extra precaution. A straight line is fine as long as there is a moderate amount of quilting over the area. Might be a problem if quilting lines are 10" apart. Quilting over the join helps keep the batting from shifting. I would leave what you have done as is.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:10 PM
Power Poster

I agree with Prism. If you are planning a very open quilting pattern it might be an issue. I try and plan the join so that it falls within a block rather than the sashing as I usually have more quilting in the block. I also have always just butted straight seams without a problem.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I used to join with the curved seam and whip stitch by hand. Now I just butt two straight pieces together and zigzag on the sewing machine. So much faster, and there's no problem with it coming apart or "showing" after quilting. I don't think there's any reason to fret over it, and certainly no reason to do it over.
This is what I do too w/a wide zig zag.I would not take it apart.I have whip stitched by hand too but jts more time consuming.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:35 PM
Power Poster

I did this the other day on two small pieces to try this out, and it went great.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:30 PM

This method gets my vote ! I too have been joining batting for years with a wide zig zag, with no issues.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:10 PM

I'd never even heard about cutting batting with an S-curve. I'll have to try that sometime.

I make changing pads as my "practice sandwiches" and zig-zag multiple pieces together. Granted, I do quilt quite close together on those, but even after LOTS of washing in warm water & med-high heat in dryer, I've never seen any issues whatsoever.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:16 PM

I join the sections in what every line they fit best and then hand whip. Personally I just don't feel happy with machine whipping.
i then spray 505 when I put onto quilt, followed by close quilting as others mention.