Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
joining blankets to use as batting >

joining blankets to use as batting

joining blankets to use as batting

Old 02-18-2007, 09:39 AM

Hi Quiling Lovers, I'm new to this chat room so PLEASE excuse any mistakes I make I'm making 3 lap quilts for my 3 grandchildren. I'm using two old, very old, blankets that my daughter used while she was growing up. I'm lightly quilting the tops and plan on using the blankets as the batting. I have two done and now I have to combine the left over pieces of blankets to make a batting for the third one. HELP! How do I join these pieces without adding more bulk. I would appreciate any suggestions! THANKS:)
Old 02-18-2007, 10:04 AM
Administrator

lay them out nice and flat. let each of the pieces overlap the other(s) by about 2". Using scissors or a rotary cutter, cut through the overlapped layers using a wavy line. i know it sounds wierd but - trust me - wavy is better. then pull away the scraps. you'll find your pieces are perfectly matched and flat.

you could hand-stitch them together - as though your were stitching up a cut.

you could try forming a temporary bond using freezer paper, then take it to the machine where you'd use one of the mending stitches. just tear the freezer paper away when you're done.

lazy thing that i am, i'd get the lightest weight, single-sided fusible webbing or interface i could find and use that to stick 'em together. i'd either reinforce it on the other side with a really wide zig-zag stitch, or just us more of the interfacing. (that would depend on how much bulk it added to the blanket.) safe to do it to both sides if you're machine quilting.

we all make mistakes here. as for me ... i make 'em here, there, and everywhere! :wink:
Old 02-18-2007, 10:16 AM

Thanks for this suggestion! This sounds like something I can handle! And I can't mess it up too bad.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:16 AM

I made a memory quilt for a friend's child who died. She asked me to put his favorite blankie in it. There was even a small piece of the blankie left over and I put that piece on the back. It worked! She has even washed it as she got makeup on it while crying on it one night. (make up came out).
Attached Thumbnails attachment-51832.jpe  
Old 01-17-2008, 08:23 PM

Connie1948 -

That memory quilt is beautiful! And how nice that he mother has something to wrap around her to help her remember her daughter!
Old 01-18-2008, 06:45 AM

what a wonderful idea. brought tears to my eyes.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:09 AM

So sweet, you're a good friend. The idea of putting his favorite blankie in the quilt was just perfect. It's just stunning!
Old 01-18-2008, 10:11 PM

Connie1948 - :oops: Sorry-- her son. :oops:
Old 01-18-2008, 10:57 PM

The quilt is beautiful and you are a great friend. I'm sorry your friend had to suffer through something so terrible as her son dying. It is a sad thing when children die before their parents!
~Tiffany
Old 01-19-2008, 04:37 AM

Just to let everyone know the pink quilt is not the memory quilt. This is a quilt I made my daughter. All that pink is because we are both breast cancer survivors. The memory quilt was a quilt of pics of the child from birth until his death. I did not take any pics of that quilt. Sorry about the confussion.
Connie